One Little Word® | 2022
The classroom is open now and you are invited to come in, download a "choosing your word" handout, share your word or receive support from classmates as you narrow it down.
In 2006 I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January – a word that I can focus on, meditate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. My words have included play, peace, vitality, nurture, story, light, up, open, thrive, give, whole, connect, space, habit, less, and heart. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another and all are threads that help weave together the story of my life. They’ve been imbedded into who I am, and into who I’m becoming. They’ve been what I’ve needed and what I didn’t know I needed. They’ve helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, and to grow.
What do you do with this one little word? You live with it. You invite it into your life. You let it speak to you. You might even follow where it leads. There are so many possibilities.
In 2011 I offered my first year-long One Little Word® workshop in an attempt to help me stay in touch with my word and make it more visible in my daily life. It worked. I've been more connected to my words these past few years because of the specific actions and reflections I've put together for the workshop.
In 2021, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of this workshop I invited eight women to join me as Guest Instructors. My goal was to include other voices and perspectives and life experiences as we celebrate ten years of monthly prompts. These are all women I admire for one reason or another and are all women who believe in the power of words to make a difference in our lives. Each one of them brings something unique to the community through their creative pursuits and through their lived experiences.
I loved having this team so much in 2021 that I invited them back again for 2022 to build on what was started.
These women will each lead a prompt, and I will fill present prompts during the other months. In addition to the monthly prompt there will also be a live chat each month featuring a conversation between the Guest Instructor and myself talking about the prompt and our experiences with our word. I'm super excited about bringing this to the monthly content - we can learn so much from each other through the process of unscripted conversation.
As I've reviewed my past albums (click here to see a walkthrough of my albums from 2011 through 2017) it's so cool to see, literally see via my words and photos, my own personal growth in those pages. Like many people, I've experienced challenges in my life and the pages in my One Little Word® albums document a lot of that struggles and successes as I've worked my way through (and continue to work my way through) the changes in my life.
This workshop is not complicated and it’s not time-consuming. Once per month you will be invited to check back into the classroom for a new creative prompt to help you make your word more visible in your life and then you'll receive a second invitation in the middle of the month to check in with our OLW team to see how they are interacting with the prompt for that month. Creative prompts generally fall into the categories of writing, photography or collage. See examples of some of the past prompts in the image slider below. It’s simply a way we can come together to share our experience with our words throughout the course of the year.
You can check out my archive of One Little Word® posts here.
What you'll learn
- Creative techniques for making your word visible in your life through the mediums of writing, photography and collage
- Past students have reported learning about celebrating progress rather than perfection, about the power of focusing on a single word and the impact that can have in your life, about how many little moments make up the patterns of our lives, about thinking of your future self as you make decisions today, about how your own journey is important, about how to step back into the story of your own life as an active participant, about learning what you most need from yourself, and about the power of coming back again and again to your original intentions as a means of reflection and forward movement
What you'll get
- Monthly creative prompts in the form of full-color PDF handouts
- Monthly presentation or process video featuring the thought behind the prompt and a how-to
- Monthly printables/digital products when applicable to the prompt + One Little Word® Main Kit Digital Package ($14.49 value)
- Mid-month check-ins with sharing from our OLW team
- Monday Messages: a weekly bit of motivation in your in-box to help you connect with your word
- Gallery and message board for sharing and support
- Optional Closed Facebook Group for additional community + connection
- Monthly live video conversation between the Guest Instructor + Ali for a deeper dive into the prompt and our lived experiences of our word (these will be recored + available in the classroom)
What you'll need
- A willingness to make your word visible in your life.
- A 6x8 album or other way to document your stories and responses to the prompts.
- An optional One Little Word® Main Kit of products is available as are additional supplies you might use to document your journey with your word this year.
- A way to print photos and/or the printables.
Dec 17Class begins3:00AM EST
Dec 17Choosing Your Word + Supplies3:00AM ESTA one-page PDF for helping you through the process of choosing your word + a supply suggestions.
Jan 1JANUARY3:00AM ESTClick here to access the content for January as we begin to get to know our words.
Jan 15Mid-January Content From OLW Team3:00AM ESTCome in + meet our Team as they share their words and approaches for 2022.
Feb 1FEBRUARY3:00AM EST
Feb 15Mid-February Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EST
Mar 1MARCH3:00AM EST
Mar 15Mid-March Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EDT
Apr 1APRIL3:00AM EDT
Apr 15Mid-April Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EDT
May 1MAY3:00AM EDT
May 15Mid-May Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EDT
Jun 1JUNE3:00AM EDT
Jun 15Mid-June Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EDT
Jul 1JULY3:00AM EDT
Jul 15Mid-July Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EDT
Aug 1AUGUST3:00AM EDT
Aug 15Mid-August Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EDT
Sep 1SEPTEMBER3:00AM EDT
Sep 15Mid-September Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EDT
Oct 1OCTOBER3:00AM EDT
Oct 15Mid-October Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EDT
Nov 1NOVEMBER3:00AM EDT
Nov 15Mid-November Content From Contributors + Ali3:00AM EST
Dec 1DECEMBER3:00AM EST