Welcome to Week In The Life 2011.
Each day this week I’ll be posting my photos and words for the day (it may just be scans of my Daily Sheets for the words). Because I’m doing this right along with you, I’ll post my Monday photos tomorrow morning and so on throughout the week. Next week I’ll share my process for bringing all the content together into an album.
As you embark today here’s a couple things I encourage you to keep in mind:
- Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be. There’s no right or wrong way to approach this project. You might be doing in-depth documentation or you might be doing a single photo each day or something in between. When you feel yourself getting overwhelmed just take a deep breath and keep moving forward. My goal is less to get every little detail and more to simply create a picture of what seven days in a row of our lives look like right now. Some days I may have a ton of photos and other days just a few – and it all works out.
- Your story is important. No matter who you are, what you do, your family structure, etc – the story you are living right now is important and worth documenting. I’m one of those people who totally wishes I had this sort of documentation before we had kids, when I was in college, etc. Life situations change so quickly and the things you think are part of your “normal” right now may not be all too soon.
- Have fun with this project – it’s such a great opportunity to see the basic details of your life through the lens of your camera. Use your camera as your eyes this week – shoot those things you see regularly that you notice (or maybe don’t take the time to notice most of the time).
- If at all possible just focus on the content gathering this week. I’ve had the most success with this project when I’ve separated the two steps – one week for content gathering and one week for bringing it all together in a completed album.
- No stress. Take it one day at a time. I tend to start off really strong and taper as the week progresses. I am totally fine with that. I’d much rather have a couple solid days and a few lighter days than nothing at all.
WEEK IN THE LIFE COMMUNITY AT BIG PICTURE CLASSES
My cool announcement for the day is that I’ve teamed up with Big Picture Classes to offer a FREE Week In The Life Community classroom. The community includes message boards and galleries (daily + completed projects) for sharing your project – all in one place. Click here to join the Week In The Life Community.
WEEK IN THE LIFE GIVEAWAY
Don’t miss the big Week In The Life giveaway happening here.
I also want to take a minute to say thank you to the 2011 Title Sponsors. You’ll see them highlighted in each of my posts this week – I truly appreciate their support of this project and hope you’ll have a chance to click over and show them some support! Title Sponsors for 2011 include
- Paper Coterie
- WorldWin Papers
- Therm O Web
- Studio Calico
- Tim Holtz
- Sweet Shoppe Designs
- Simon Says Stamp
TODAY’S POST SPONSORED BY | PAPER COTERIE
Join us in celebrating Begin Anywhere Month at Paper Coterie. Featuring our inspiring chat with NY Times bestselling author, Kelly Corrigan about documenting ordinary moments. Also enter to win signed copies of Kelly’s book Lift. As our gift to you, please enjoy $40 to spend during August by entering the code: BEGINANYWHERE. Shipping is not included. Code is valid August 1-31.
SHOP | FACEBOOK | TWITTER