Today's video tutorial shows you the simple technique of adding text to a Long Journaler or other overlay in Photoshop Elements.

Ali Edwards | Adding Text To A Long Journaler/Overlay in Elements from Ali Edwards on Vimeo.

These Long Journalers (and any other PNG files) can also be opened in Word.

Here's a video that walks you through the steps:

Ali Edwards | Adding Text To An Overlay In Word from Ali Edwards on Vimeo.

DESIGNER DIGITALS QUARTERLY SALE

The Designer Digitals quarterly sale begins today. Everything in the store is 30% off through early Tuesday morning.

Here's a look at the new products I have coming out today:

6 inch x 4 inch Journalers. This package also includes a PDF file for easy printing. I used these in Week Five of Project Life.

Sisters Word Art

Evidence Paper Collection

Evidence Tag Collection

Evidence 4x6 Overlay Collection

Go Outside Brushes & Stamps

Have a great rest of the week!

Interested in getting started with digital scrapbooking or learning more about using your computer for telling your stories? Check out my list of posts and video tutorials on my Getting Started With Digital Scrapbooking page. My video tutorials can all be found in my Video Tutorial category archive or you can check them all out together on my Vimeo channel.

1. Sarah Giles

2011-02-10 17:16:42 +0000

Beautiful new products and a great, helpful video. I thought I needed to be a Photoshop genius to use all these lovely things, but you've made it look so straightforward! Thank you!

2. Jill

2011-02-10 17:51:30 +0000

Ali, I'm curious how you are designing the papers? Hand drawing? Computer graphics? Probably a mix, as I think while typing this. I guess it doesn't really matter because they are gorgeous no matter how they are made! Sorta wish I was a digital person after seeing these. . .

* edited 08/11/14 12:19PM
  3. Tweets that mention Adding Text To Overlays + Long Journalers In Elements And Word | Video Tutorials | Ali Edwards -- Topsy.com

2011-02-10 17:53:29 +0000

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ali Edwards and Maureen, Josephina Mydreama. Josephina Mydreama said: Adding Text To Overlays + Long Journalers In Elements And Word | Video Tutorials: Today’s… http://goo.gl/fb/fqpJS [...]

4. Peg

2011-02-10 18:14:08 +0000

Wow, Ali, great new products. Love the tags and the outdoor words!

5. Jessica Woodford

2011-02-10 19:00:47 +0000

Ali~ I just got some of your new stuff! Thank you...love it! I was wondering what font you use so that I can coordinate some digital writing on photos & such?

Thanks!

6. Lynn M

2011-02-10 19:20:11 +0000

I've found your video tutorials so helpful in learning how to use your wonder digital art from DD. I'm new to digital scrapbooking, but little by little I'm getting it. I can't tell you how many times I've replayed the same video over and over just to finally "get it." Thanks for much.

7. kirby

2011-02-10 20:19:02 +0000

just got the 6x4 journalers - LOVE being able to print them right off & use them in project life. thanks, Ali!

Also, i've been meaning to tell you about an app i know you would love - pocketbooth. do you already have it? a photo booth right on your phone! love it and use it all the time - my kiddos actually cooperate for those photos, excitedly waiting on the strip to drop down into the slot. :) I've printed several and they look great. You may already know about it, but in case you didn't, had to let ya know!

8. Getting Started With Digital Scrapbooking | Ali Edwards

2011-02-10 20:24:45 +0000

[...] Adding Text To An Overlay And Long Journaler in Elements AND Word (video tutorial) [...]

9. Jill B

2011-02-10 20:24:54 +0000

Ali you are great a making things seem easy. A printer question, I received a B8550 for Christmas, and I use PSE8. When printing, I have to go in and use advance settings everytime, this seems so time consuming. Am I missing something?
    Then when changing paper trays it is NOT automatic, I have tried to keep the paper trays ready with the desired photo paper, however even when I specify the photo tray with say 4X6 photo paper, I have to make sure the main tray is empty, because the printer will try to draw the 8.5x11 and then aborts because paper is the wrong size.
    The other thing I seem to encounter is the change in dpi. Sometimes I just want a simple 300 or 600dpi to conserve ink, but again I am back through all the advanced settings prompts to get there.
    I have attempted to work through this on my own, but become frustrated and could use some help. I am certain it is a simple operator error. I hope it was ok to ask it here. I want to use all my new pngs on my photos.
    Thanks for any help. Jill Broyles

10. Jenny

2011-02-10 21:10:08 +0000

What is the best program to get for doing the digital things you do? Or what's the minimum you need? I have always loved them and never took the time and just used what I have. I'm a PC person.
    Long story short, we had a fire in our house, everyone is safe and fine, but I lost all (other than most pictures) my scrapbooking stuff. But it gives me the chance to reevaluate what I love best about scrapbooking and change directions (some hybrid) as well.

11. ScrappinShonie

2011-02-10 22:08:02 +0000

Thank you for your tutorials. They're really easy to understand. I've finally started some digital scrapbooking thanks to you! I love your simple clean designs as well.

12. Audrey

2011-02-11 02:50:45 +0000

Thanks for the tutorials, Ali. Do you have any tips on how to convert your 8.5x11 The Story of Today journalers (which I have purchased previously) to 4x6 ? And how to convert your 4x6 Story Overlays above (which I'm going to get on sale!) to 8.5x11? I find that I'm always wanting to use the various digi templates slightly different from how they are set up depending on my mood and layout needs.

13. Carrie/scrapchick

2011-02-11 04:02:51 +0000

Thanks so much for the vids! Love the new goodies!

14. Theresa

2011-02-11 15:19:44 +0000

I am new to the concept of digital scrapbooking. I looked for local photo shops that would print in a 12 by 12 format and none offer it. How do I find a printer to work with? I would like to try some of this but it doesn't do any good if I can't get things printed at a reasonable price. Thanks so much.

15. Jennifer Levin

2011-02-11 21:14:09 +0000

Oh my goodness! I can't wait to work with all these new goodies! I love them! Thanks Ali! ~Jen

16. Monique

2011-02-13 00:38:17 +0000

Thank you so much for sharing!
    I was quite surprised to hear a total different voice then the one I remembered when we met (about 3 times in the NL). What happened?

17. Birgit

2011-02-14 03:11:23 +0000

Thank you Ali for taking the time to make a video tutorial about how to use you overlays in word. I love to be able to include more journaling in the Project Life album.

18. Project Life | Week Six | Ali Edwards

2011-02-15 19:30:41 +0000

[...] If you’d like more information on working with the long journalers or other digital overlays, including how to add your text, go here for video tutorials using both Elements and Word. [...]

19. Kerri

2011-02-20 08:43:49 +0000

Ali-would you be interested in creating journaling cards that would enable you to use Project Life as a baby album? I'm imagining 4x6 and 8-1/2 x 11" sized overlays that prompt you to document the preparations, arrival, family history, birth details, etc, using great fonts and your beautiful handwriting. Thanks, Kerri

20. Amanda

2011-02-21 22:07:31 +0000

Can you use your 4X6 journalers to print onto the 4x6 journal cards provided in the project life kit? If so do you just feed the card into your printer?

21. Juli Jones

2011-04-05 19:46:13 +0100

hi ali~

i am new to photoshop elements and have never done any digital/hybrid scrapbooking but am trying to learn. i just purchased your long journalers (and some otherw), a first as well. after emailing back and forth with designer digitals i learned how to unzip the files etc... and i just watched your video tutorial on how to add text to the long journalers in pse. so here i am feeling all cool thinking that i finally figured something out and when i go to actually start typing i can't read it cuz it's so small, i tried using the magnifying glass but it screwed it all up. i do have a long story to tell, it will probably need 2-3 long journalers so i need to see to type. i feel so silly for asking you this but what do i need to do to accomplish this? also, is there any resizing that needs to be done to the long journalers, how do you save them (what type of file) and then i just print them out on my computer at home?? any info you can give me is much appreciated. it drives me crazy that it always takes me forever to figure things out! i think you are amazing and thank you for all the wonderful inspiration you provide on a daily basis:)

22. Project Life | Week Fifteen | Ali Edwards

2011-04-19 15:38:56 +0100

[...] If you’d like to learn more about working with long journalers in both Photoshop and Word (including video tutorials) check out this post. [...]

23. Cori

2011-06-28 01:09:11 +0100

The Word video doesn't seem to be working....

24. Ilana Polakiewicz

2013-04-04 01:08:42 +0100

Ali, thank you for sharing this. You teach me so much! Kisses, Ilana.

25. Week in the Life [September 2013] | There's More to the Story

2013-09-08 01:46:34 +0100

[…] Adding Text To Overlays + Long Journalers In Elements And Word | Video Tutorials […]