Quietly present.

Aretjournalspark_beSometimes it is really tough to just be. Attempting to identify where I like to simply be...to me this has something to do with being present. Quietly present. I crave the quiet component in there.

"Does it exist...Can you take me there?"

I need quiet. Noise can easily bother me. Push me over the edge. Sometimes music is great, but often it is just noise. The older I get the more I love the quiet. Peaceful. And a lot of times it is just me being quiet...

Maybe that is why I love traveling these days. It is quiet - besides the exterior noises - I can be inside myself, watching the world around me. Stepping back if it gets to loud. A bit tougher to step back here at home. Sometimes I retreat to the bathroom simply for a moment of peace. A moment where I am not needed or wanted by anyone. Quiet.

It is another aspect of balance when you get right down to it. Figuring out how to exist in a noisy world.

To be, even in the midst of everything else

1. traci

2005-05-21 14:59:37 -0400

Very cool page, Ali. Love the typewriter pic, too.

2. shary

2005-05-21 15:19:48 -0400

a lovely, thoughtful essay.
    thank you.

3. suzanne

2005-05-21 15:22:15 -0400

Boy, I can certainly understand this.
    Here's are two cool somethings I read this week in a chapter of a book about the discipline of prayer:
    "The irrepressible medieval monk Brother Lawrence recorded his experience of continual prayer in the classic Practice of the Presence of God: "In the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were on my knees."
    "Susannah Wesley, mother of nineteen children (including theologian Charles Wesley and hymn writer John Wesley), used to enjoy the Lord's presence right in the middle of her noisy kitchen, just by sitting down and throwing an apron over her head. She created a quiet space, however small, to be with the Lord."

4. Meredith

2005-05-21 15:28:25 -0400

Wow, I can totally relate to your bathroom retreat comment!! It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one. :) When our Bug was born, I can recall several instances where the bathroom was the only place I could get a moment's respite, the only place I could be by myself. I still use this tactic.

5. Lara

2005-05-21 15:34:59 -0400

This is really terrific, Ali. Sounds corny coming from me, who??, but I'm proud of you for stepping outside your box with this challenge. (I'm not involved in the class but I've been art-journaling for 8 or 9 months) It's cool to see you going with the flow within ya and breaking all of the rules (and, frankly, my stereotype!).
    As far as the noise, I can't say I relate. I'm extremely auditory so silence drives me insane! Ya know, other than the dripping faucet when I'm trying to sleep...

6. stace

2005-05-21 16:22:25 -0400

I can sooo relate. Thanks for sharing this with us... it made me feel really good.

7. carie

2005-05-21 16:57:43 -0400

Great blog and great page A~thanks for your subtle inspiration. I find myself wanting to forge ahead so often. I get quiet for a short time and then an idea hits and boom! I'm back in that stage of researching and writing and thinking and dreaming of "oh, I could do this with it, and than this!"....to a few days later realize it was just a nice idea and not one that is ment for me to pursue at this time. I want to stop and "be" as you said and not think that every creative spark is something that deserves to become something great....it can "be" just that...a little blessing and I need to just sit with it and enjoy how the thought alone makes me feel :c)
    I'm rambling now...thanks

8. Kelley

2005-05-21 16:58:58 -0400

Wow, do I ever relate to the "escape to the bathroom for a bit of silence" bit...I desire a good silence every now and then, but it seems so hard to find!
    Thanks for sharing this...it hit home with me...

9. kristi

2005-05-21 17:11:28 -0400

Ali, I love this page... The cut-out journaling on the bottom is so me! You don't usually do the mid-week sparks, do you??
    Listen, I have a weird question to ask... I saw your "Day in the Life" lo in CK and I'm dying to know----Where did you get your toaster!!??? I love it! And I know my husband would love it...He's a chef, so I'm always trying to buy him cool kitchen things for presents. If you get a sec, hit me back and let me know! I hope it's not an antique or something, lol!!!

10. jen paddack-hyde

2005-05-21 18:49:20 -0400

Can totally relate. Husband did his own thing today and my daughter is at her dad's so I got to just scrapbook all day with very few interruptions..was so nice..and I got so much done:)
    Thanks for sharing. You are always so inspirational:)

11. Rachel

2005-05-21 19:55:18 -0400

I'm so there with you. Dh doesn't always understand my need for quiet. I find noise can be very distracting..particulary noise from multiple sources all at ones (tv, E, music, lawnmoer, etc etc) Cool page too!

12. Sharyn (Torm)

2005-05-21 23:39:48 -0400

mmmm, a yummy page on a Sunday morning. As I'm enjoying the quiet. I can totally relate. The *quiet* is exactly why I forego an extra hour of sleep in the morning. I need the quiet before the house wakes up. Can also relate to the music. I can enjoy it sometimes, but it reaches a point where it annoys me and to turn it off is sudden bliss. Awesome entry! Thank you!

13. Kelsey

2005-05-22 04:04:50 -0400

I loved what you typed on your page- "I cooperate with the divine solution". I think that's it right there Ali. True peace and rest can only be found in the One who created us, and the more we fight to seek our own will, our own solutions, the more unsettled we will feel. To cooperate with God, to let go of our burdens and worries and cares, that's where freedom lies. This side of Heaven, there will always be forms of noise, seasons of discontent... so we seek and cling to the fragrences and tastes of peace and rest we are blessed to experience. But that's all they are- brief fragrences and tastes. Those precoius moments that define rest and peace and tranquility for you. Thanks for your openness and vulnerability again, Ali. -Kels

14. Sherry

2005-05-22 05:13:56 -0400

Ali, Ali, Ali!!! This is amazing! I just love how you were so free with your journal entry! It speaks volumes to me in so many ways! Thanks for sharing!!!

15. Tina

2005-05-22 05:14:29 -0400

You are so good. Very cool journal entry. Totally relate to what you wrote. Rod just took both boys to the park and I am savouring the silence at the moment. :)

16. Cathy

2005-05-22 05:18:46 -0400

I know what you mean....I actually look forward to going to the carwash...it's a few precious minutes where I am not needed and can rest in peace and relative quiet. :)

17. Amanda E.

2005-05-22 08:22:41 -0400

Love it. Thank you for your inspiration.

18. cathy

2005-05-22 09:06:36 -0400

mmmm...to just be. i have been having trouble with that lately. Because I'm always thinking i have to be "doing".
    I heard a goofy thing once....you're a human being, not a human doing.
    i too love silence. take it every chance i get.
    love
    c

19. Shelley R.

2005-05-22 15:24:54 -0400

Great thoughts and words today. I can so relate!
    Shelley

20. Molly

2005-05-22 15:30:46 -0400

Yeah, just be. Wow. What a simple yet unheard of statement. How to just be. With yourself, your family, your life. What an awesome entry today, Ali, just awesome!

21. Alana

2005-05-22 19:57:07 -0400

Funny, I was thinking about this a few days ago....how would I take a picture of silence? It's my favourite thing too.......

22. Cindy

2005-05-23 01:32:38 -0400

I can totally relate. People ask me why I get up at 4:30 or 5:00am, and I always tell them "Because nobody wants anything from me then".

23. emily ruth

2005-05-23 06:16:12 -0400

super cool, ali...i am so loving the art challenge...shimelle is really great...

24. Chris

2005-05-23 19:31:45 -0400

.....uhhhhh ........yeeahhh........

25. shimelle.~*

2005-05-24 08:57:34 -0400

your page are so dimensional without invading 3D space. i love the depth of writing that appears to have a NEED to explode from your pen juxtaposed with the irregular paint -- like you could be covering up a secret or painting over the messy bits of the world. and yes, i love reading far too much into the details of others' work. ;-)
    so glad you are enjoying the challenge and love the entries.