Bad News & Good News

The bad news: I have the flu. The kind where you can barely stand up except to hustle to the bathroom.

That means that I need to cancel my classes tomorrow and Sunday at PhotoExpress. I am so sorry you guys but it would not be an enjoyable experience for you or for me. I haven't been this sick in quite awhile. Michele will be calling you with all the information and the re-scheduled date.

The good news: today is Friday and that means it is AEzine Challenge day. Here was the challenge this week:

This week I want you to take a bit of time to check out your own style. What defines your style? Create a layout shows examples of your own style evolution - write about how you have grown as a life artist/scrapbooker since you first began. These sorts of stories are so important as a part of your own personal history. How cool for your family to see all the layouts you have created AND a layout that talks about how you see yourself evolving as a life artist/ scrapbooker.

I think I am more excited about seeing your results from this challenge than any other so far. I have seen a couple responses on blogs and in emails this week already and it was so cool. Post a link in the comments to your own blog, to a gallery, or do a little write up right here if you have time. And remember, more to come on style in the next issue.

1. StudioD

2006-11-17 10:19:39 -0800

Hi Ali;
    Sorry you have the flu, and I am anxious to try the challange this week.
    Dagmar Leuenberger-Swift

2. Valerie

2006-11-17 11:00:33 -0800

poor you!! get well soon!

3. chanel

2006-11-17 11:08:45 -0800

I have posted my first LO ever .... i really enjoyed your words of wisdom this week, you must have ESP as I was totally thinking about it myself - funny! Hope you are feeling heaps better soon, lots of vitamin C for you my dear!

4. callie

2006-11-17 11:35:04 -0800

you can really tell in your time line how your scrapbooking has evolved in to you. And not just the way we were taught from Creative Memories. I love scrapping now it's so darn cool.

5. callie

2006-11-17 11:37:06 -0800

whoops for the above I went to one of the links from your deal and was looking at a gals stuff, next thing I know I posted on Ali's site. Sorry Ali. Hope the flu bug leaves your house without visiting your husband and son.

6. Juliana

2006-11-17 11:41:46 -0800

This is my first time to complete one of your challenges. I have been getting your AEzine each week and have totally enjoyed your insite and inspiration! This challenge in particular spoke to me and has really made me stop and think...I need to play more and not worry so much about how things are going to turn out. I need to have fun!
    I have yet to get my own blog up and running (waiting on my Baby cakes to get it going!). So I posted my LO on 2peas. Here's the link: http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/pg.asp?gallery=1&cmd=display&layout_id=1027161
    Hope you get feeling well soon!

7. Anne Thompson

2006-11-17 12:07:30 -0800

We just got back from our first vacation to Disneyworld with our 2 little girls 2 days ago. Just read that you are going and I'm sure you'll really enjoy yourselves. We had a great time and the girls loved it. Our youngest is 2 yrs. and she is a relaly sensitive little one, so it took her a few days to really start getting into it. She never liked the characters (too big and scary) so we just stayed clear of them. The rides are great, especially peter pan and the whinnie the pooh rides. Hope you have a great time and that Simon enjoys it! Anne

8. Leeann

2006-11-17 13:15:49 -0800

This is my first challenge. I keep a journal scrapbook so this will go in that book. Thanks for the challenge and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

9. Sarah

2006-11-17 13:35:18 -0800

Sorry to hear you're not well, Ali - I hope Chris is looking after you!
    Here's my LO:
    Thanks for the challenge!

10. Tammy M.

2006-11-17 14:22:07 -0800

Sorry to hear that you're ill Ali...hope you feel better soon!
    Here is my link:
    Thanks for the challenge!

11. Jenn

2006-11-17 14:28:36 -0800

Thanks for helping me appreciate the process - rather than just hating my early layouts, I'm appreciating how far I've come.

12. Bek ~Aussie Chick~

2006-11-17 16:17:50 -0800

Sorry to hear you are not well Ali.
    Still... listen to that body!! You must be WAY overdue for a bit of R&R!
    Here is my post on your challenge # 8...
    Ali's latest newsletter challenge:
    As always... a terrific stretch of the creative limbs.
    Thanks
    Bek :-)

13. Lisa O

2006-11-17 16:59:14 -0800

Ali! I hope you feel better soon! And I just loved this weeks theme! As usual I tried to make it my own :) Here you go!
    Lisa

14. shawnnita

2006-11-17 20:32:55 -0800

Hi there, hate to hear your not feeling well. I hope you get better in time for Orlando.
    I have to be honest with you and say that I have had a really tough time with this challenge.
    I'm going to have to get my nose in it tomorrow and see what I can do.
    Get well soon!

15. Brianna

2006-11-17 22:57:35 -0800

Hope you're feeling better soon, Ali! I haven't had a chance to read this week's newsletter, but it's in my inbox waiting for me.

16. Jennifer McNeely

2006-11-17 23:09:44 -0800

Oh Ali - I can say I know how you feel - I had the flu Friday too and still am not feeling up to snuff. I know the feeling about not wanting to get up. Hope your dear hubby and little buddy took good care of you.

17. Nichole

2006-11-18 00:49:45 -0800

Poor you! Hope you're feeling a little better by now. It's probably too late to get a prescription over the weekend, but for future reference, Tamiflu REALLY does help. I was skeptical, but when my family got a nasty flu last year, Tamiflu was really miraculous. (No, I have no affiliation, and I'm usually anti-Big Pharma.)
    Sending you a big "get well" hug!

18. StudioD

2006-11-18 04:06:16 -0800

Hi Ali;
    Thanks for issuing another challange. Here is what I came up with last night about "What's your Scrapbook Style"
    Dagmar

19. Ruth Ayres

2006-11-18 12:26:14 -0800

Here's mine -- better late than never? :)
    Ruth

20. stephenie

2006-11-19 11:17:53 -0800

Here is the link to my post on our blog... sorry it is late!
    Stephenie

21. EthnicScrapbooking

2006-11-19 11:50:00 -0800

Get plenty of rest and water, water, water. I feel ahead cold coming on myself. I enjoy your newsletter, think about your challenges, but have never tried one...this is one where I already have it done. I definitely know my style...culture infusion...what I call Ethnic Scrapbooking. Taking the ordinary everyday moments and relating them to various cultures. Here's a link of how I announced the birth of new grandson at the start of Kwanzaa last year, even though I don't celebrate Kwanzaa this principle exemplified the moment.

22. June

2006-11-21 14:02:10 -0800

Here's mine.
    Please feel better, Ali. I know it is NO fun being sick THIS time of year! You're in my prayers!
    -June

23. Julie H.

2006-11-22 03:30:40 -0800

What's my Style?
    I have not participated here before but have been feeling a strong need to get my creative self moving - I'm in a slump. I'm interested in joining the weekly challenges - I'll see if I'm up to the challenge!
    Do i even have a style? Currently my style is to think a lot about scrapping, to look at magazines, and then feel paralyzed when it comes to my own pages. I know what I like, but then don't have the time or tools to get into it, so then I resort to scraplifting, or falling back on the same old layouts that I use over and over.
    I'm not sure what my style is, but I know what its not:
    Not: flowery, overly embellished, not too many tools (I don't have the time or space), not too much generic journaliing,
    I do like (even though I seldom achieve it)
    mixing patterns and colors, surprises, not the traditional "scrapbook" look... I know it when I see it but I'm not sure how to describe it.
    Well, I've gone on long enough. I hope just the discipline of getting this posted will get me started doing something - I'm thinking of doing the Christmas Journal...
    Julie H.

24. Julie H.

2006-11-22 03:32:11 -0800

Sorry - I just posted but my link didn't come through - here it is:
    Julie H.

25. Jennifer

2006-11-25 12:20:16 -0800

Hey, Ali! Thanks for the inspiring post. It really was a thrill to look back at all my old scrapbook layouts and see how far I've come.