Christmas Project #6 : Framing

One of the things I have enjoyed searching for over the last couple of weeks are cards and smaller holiday paper items from Goodwill + antique stores that can be given new life in a frame. The one above was from an old Japanese Christmas card and was less than a dollar. I cut out a couple words ("prince of peace") from the inside, removed the back, and adhered it to cardstock before placing it in a frame.

Here's another one that features a bunch of holiday stamps from 1979 - loved the images:

Here's a close up on the stamps:

You can also look to your holiday scrapbook supply stash. My plan is to frame three different sheets of patterned paper in these frames from Ikea (they are big ones) and hang them in our dining room:

That red patterned paper is from Making Memories and can be found here.

I am one of those people who likes to live with my photos - meaning they hang all over the walls of our house in a variety of different frames (most of them are black - I am trying to branch out a bit for some variety). I love that I can change them up from time to time and add holiday pieces by simply replacing the photo with something else right inside the frame (I store all the photos in an envelope in my office). Then, when the season is done and I am tired of looking at the holiday stuff, I can easily add the photos back in for the new year.

It's a cool way to change things up in your house without spending a bunch of money on all new stuff.

1. jen paddack-hyde

2007-11-14 06:19:09 -0600

i remember those stamps...very cool:)

2. Darcy

2007-11-14 06:24:34 -0600

Good Wednesday Ali!! I love this idea. And that you are reusing from the Goodwill. Awesome. As an avid recycler and scrapbooker (is this irony or what?) I have been saving my scraps over time and am now making what I am calling a "recycled" scrapbook. (Ingenius, I think!) I am really excited about it and am not using anything new, only things I already have around the craft room. I love your card idea so much I am going to have to hit up the goodwill in Springfield (as I am sure all the good cards are gone in Eugene) and come up with some fun pictures as well!! Thanks so much. Blessings.

3. Camille

2007-11-14 06:29:05 -0600

I do the same, replacing existing photos with Christmas photos or vintage cards in my existing frames. And the stamps.... where did you get those? *So* fun!
    On a completely different note, I'm trying to snatch up a few of those Sharpie white paint pents (fine tip) and Michael's doesn't have them. I'm guessing I'll get them online unless you have a local source you could recommend? Email me if ya want.
    Again, thanks for the inspiration!
    ~C.

4. The Writer Mama

2007-11-14 06:31:08 -0600

I remember when you were writing your Life Artist book and talking about not having enough time for things. That's mean on these projects!
    I guess I wouldn't trade the book, but I sure envy the Goodwill trips!

5. Lorna

2007-11-14 06:35:35 -0600

love seeing all your pictures/photos you have inspired me to change what I have hanging on the walls and to add more than just one photo here and another there :)

6. Camille

2007-11-14 06:49:20 -0600

where did you get those stamps? what a score!
    ~C.

7. Gigi

2007-11-14 06:54:29 -0600

Hello Ali, I just love to read your blog everyday, you inspire me to do all kinds of wonderful projects. Thank you.

8. Joscelyne (Joscie) Cutchens

2007-11-14 06:55:53 -0600

I love that! I have most of my photos in black frames too....

9. kari

2007-11-14 07:26:26 -0600

Okay--for anyone coming to my house over the holiday season, I just want to tell them that I had this idea all on my own. Honest. I have even started replacing photos in my frames, so that proves that I had this idea myself.
    As for everything else in my home this holiday season--I stole it all from Ali. (I'm just so very glad that she posted an idea that didn't require me adding something to my craft store shopping list!)
    Thank you for the inspiration and all she sharing--so nice of brilliant and creative people like you to be so eager to share the genius.

10. Linda Beeson

2007-11-14 07:30:51 -0600

What fun finds and what completely fun things to do with them! Good eye!

11. Jenney

2007-11-14 08:35:54 -0600

Thank you so much for this awesome idea!! I was just wondering today what I was going to do with my picture frames when my holiday decorations go up. I WILL be framing some holiday patterned paper and wrapping paper! Thanks, Ali!

12. HappyHappyJoyJoy

2007-11-14 10:20:44 -0600

Hi Ali! Love seeing all your Christmas fun! Hey, if you have time, check out a thread on the 2peas pub board that links to an auto letter for funding the Autism Bill to the state reps/senators. GW Bush just vetoed this bill and knowing how many people read your blog, if you publicize this, I'm sure you could get lots of signatures. Have a great day!

13. Crystal

2007-11-14 11:33:55 -0600

EVERY year I say I'm going to do this and I NEVER get around to doing it! All your ideas are really inspiring me to get with it this year and get a jumpstart on making a fabulous homey Christmas for my family! Especially this year, we will have less money than we are used to - all the more reason to make it special in all these creative, frugal, eco-friendly ways! Thanks Ali! You are an inspiration!

14. Shaquanna

2007-11-14 11:35:35 -0600

I'm loving the stamps as well. Where did you get them?

15. Kathryn Johnson

2007-11-14 12:40:24 -0600

I love all your Christmas ideas-especially the journal. I made a version of this and posted it on my blog!

16. Kirsty Colquhoun

2007-11-14 13:15:41 -0600

Its like christmas each morning when i wake up, i am excited to go to your blog and see what you've been up to! I hope you realise how much joy you give to me and i am sure tons of others with your blog and the wonderful things you create ... bless you for all you do and give :)

17. Kristi

2007-11-14 14:12:12 -0600

I love these ideas! How fabulous!! I love a good framing project :)

18. Nena

2007-11-14 14:19:31 -0600

Hi Ali
    I suppose you might Not remember me, we've run into each other at convention several times and at events in Seattle. I have supper curly hair, I work with Daisy D's and used to teach for Scrapworks. Anyways... Hey I am so glad that I looked up your blog tonight, you have inspired me to get back to what I love doing. I love to create art! I have been taking some much needed time off from the scrapbooking world just to hang out with my family, but after reading your blog there is No reason I shouldn't start creating for myself again. Thanks so much -Nena
    ps: I put up my tree this week also! I Love Christmas

19. scrappinkay

2007-11-14 14:29:12 -0600

I just love coming to your blog, always some type of inspiration that you provide. I'm loving all the christmas decorating craft ideas and you are getting into the spirit early, well I guess Thanksgiving is next week, wow, how time flies.
    I took your idea with the word cards and created my own. I am going to make them for friends to hang on their own trees or whatever they want to hang them on. I used some fun fonts, so that made it fun too. If anyone wants my file I'd be happy to share it.
    Thanks for your inspiration.

20. Sarah

2007-11-14 16:28:12 -0600

Just gorgeous. If only I had a goodwill shop nearby that was half as good as yours!!

21. BWAF

2007-11-14 16:48:06 -0600

Goodwill and Salvation Army are the best places to go. The stamp idea is totally cool.

22. O

2007-11-15 01:04:52 -0600

I've thought of doing this (putting Cmas cards in frames) but haven't acted on it yet. I think I will. My trouble is figuring out a good layout for my frames on the wall. I. am. clueless. ;) Also, I'll be sure to contact my state's rep regarding the veto. Best to you & yours!

23. Michelle B

2007-11-15 02:49:42 -0600

Love the ideas Ali!, I love the old Japanese Christmas card against the red wall. Is the red wall in your dining room? Are you decorating all the rooms of your house with a bit of christmas cheer? Are you going to post pictures of your finished button trees? So many questions!

24. Amy Hummel

2007-11-15 06:38:08 -0600

Good idea with the frames...

25. O

2007-11-29 19:37:17 -0600

Hi Ali -- just wondering if you knew the name/brand of the red paint you used on the wall in one of your photos of the frame with the old Japanese Christmas card and would you share that info with me? I can't seem to be able to decide on a red to use in my kitchen. Thanks!