One little word.

Vitality

Now that many of you have chosen a word for the year, what will you do to keep it in mind throughout the year? It can be very simple or complex, a craft/scrapbooking project or a simple reminder in your planner or on your bulletin board. Some sort of visual reminder is a great way to add a bit of focus to your word.

Here's a couple ideas for honoring your word this year:

• Go through some magazines looking for your word or themes/phrases/etc that relate to your word. Cut them out and collage them together as a visual reminder. This could grow and expand throughout the year.
• Commission or locate a piece of jewelry that features your word. I am ordering a necklace with "vitality" from Lisa Leonard. Love this as a daily visual reminder.
• Print out a word card (see photo above) and place it where you will see it everyday (a bathroom mirror or refrigerator or bulletin board are all front and center).
• Create a canvas that introduces your word. Dump some paint right on there and go for it.
• Start a journal to document thoughts, feelings, experiences you have with your word over the course of the year. This could be a visual journal or just focus on the words. Your journal could be as simple as a Word document on your computer.
• Expand your interest in words by playing along with the challenges on the one little word blog.

What are the ways you are planning to honor your word in 2008?

view more comments
25 of 104
  1. Leauriy

2008-01-06 21:23:05 +0900

I like the idea of keeping a journal...i don't have a very good track record of sticking with these sorts of things, but i'm game and up for the challenge. i'd like to see how i start to see my word - ABUNDANCE, as it evolves over the year through photos and observations. Also i plan on framing my word and placing it in plain view for all to see so it's ever present for family and friends, with the hopes that dialoge is provoked...i may have to move it around the house so as to keep it fresh and Alive. Lastly, i'm toying with the idea of taking a photo a day for a given month of the year, depicting the Abundance that is already present in my life and hence the reason for choosing the word in the first place.
    Thanks for the great ideas to support us in our endevours. You Rock! and love all of the comments.
    Leauriy

2. Angela

2008-01-06 22:32:03 +0900

This weekend I started clearing out my magazines - a yearly ritual. As I was flicking through them, looking for inspriation before they hit the recycling bin, I found myself draw to things that remind me of my word - BLOOM. I am going to start a journal for 2008, covering the front with a collage of blooms and working from there.

3. jill barrett

2008-01-06 23:16:18 +0900

dream

4. rani Shah

2008-01-07 00:28:51 +0900

sweeet list! thanks for the link to the wonderful jewelry artist! and to the one little word site-don't know why I never went there before, but it rocks!!!

5. Monique

2008-01-07 00:55:09 +0900

New.. my word for the year is new.
    a new LIFE (baby due in June, perspective, challenges, attitudes, adventures, memories, visions...
    I haven't scrapped in MONTHS, and this is likely to get me going sometime this month..

6. Deanne Burton

2008-01-07 01:20:49 +0900

Here are the layout and visual I made using my word COMFORTABLE

7. Jill

2008-01-07 02:01:49 +0900

I found a great necklace on etsy with my word (strive). So excited to have a daily reminder!

8. Kathi K

2008-01-07 05:32:04 +0900

I had already chosen my word in December -- at first just for the Christmas season, then I decided it was appropriate for the whole year. The word is 'joyful'. My christmas present for myself was a necklace from Lisa Leonard that has the word stamped into it. It is absolutely perfect. I just love it and it is a wonderful reminder to be joyful! I hope you love your necklace as much as I love mine.

9. Elise

2008-01-07 08:03:48 +0900

I first documented my personal word with paint and some cut flowers no longer fresh enough for the vase. I made flower prints and turned them into flowers, suns, and dotted flowers in the shape of my word: happy. All yellows and oranges and bright reds. I think I will hang it in my room. These are some great ideas about how to keep my word around.
    We haven't yet documented our family word, but we did speak it aloud on New Year's day and we each blew out a candle from our candlelight dinner--sort of like wishing "kind" to be our word for the year. Candles made it fun for the kids.

10. Angelique

2008-01-07 12:03:30 +0900

Hi Ali! Thank you so much for all the inspiration! Today I was reading the list of words. WOW! My feelings came close to the word simplify... Then IT popped into my mind "Basic" That's THE 2008 WORD for me!

11. Danielle

2008-01-07 20:14:31 +0900

My word is BEST. Be the best person I can be. The best mother, the best friend, the best wife, the best worker. I want to be the best NOW, instead of always focusing on the next best thing and not taking the time to make the best of the current situation.

12. Laura

2008-01-07 21:23:18 +0900

Love reading everyone's choices. Haven't chosen my own yet. I like the idea of Basic. Just getting back to the basics of what is important. Also liked STRIVE. I think I could stand to do that more. Strive to lose wieght, strive to save more money, alwasy strive to do my best. I'll get back with my word I guess.
    I have been thinking about you alot. I hope that all is going well with your moles. Please keep us posted.
    Lots of hugs
    Laura

13. robin

2008-01-08 03:10:13 +0900

Thanks so much for inspiring me Ali! My word for this year is focus. I'm hoping it will help me tackle all the things I want to get done this year!

14. Chris

2008-01-08 18:04:21 +0900

Thanks for the inspiration, Ali! I just created a little sign for my dream board using my scrapbooking papers and now it encourages me every day.

15. Tobey

2008-01-09 06:08:21 +0900

my word for 2008 is PLAN plan can mean so many things for me....plan a course of action, make a plan, plan ahead, creative plan, plan to have fun. Now I need to make a plan to document my word in a way that it will be visible every day to remind me....

16. mireia carbonell

2008-01-09 23:30:31 +0900

Ali
    I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for consistently being a place of inspiration I can come to - Any Any Any day!
    :-)
    you are a special women!
    kisses from spain

17. Kim

2008-01-10 05:31:51 +0900

ALI ROCKS!!!! inspired doesn't even cut it! my scrapping/crafting doesn't even begin to compare BUT I did pick a word: FOCUS
    -on the here & now
    -on the silver linings
    -on the end results when the babysteps get hard
    -on the simple things
    -learn more on focus settings on the camera :)
    SO ANYWAY- here is how I am honoring YOU & MY word this year! http://nothingbutchatter.blogspot.com/2008/01/focus.html
    thanks again Ali! you are the first blog I stalk several times daily :)

18. Nanette

2008-01-10 20:05:57 +0900

My word is ORGANIZATION ! I need to be oranized in 2008...

19. Lizzie

2008-01-12 20:51:07 +0900

I'm late to the party but here's my word.
    Rest

20. Chriss J

2008-01-13 14:07:39 +0900

Hi Ali,
    This is my first post, in an effort to actively live my word-CONNECTION. I tend to be self sufficient, independent, and stoic. My life has brought me many heartaches in the last year and I decided rather than hiding my pain I would share. To do that I need to connect. So everyday I am reaching out to others in some way...already I am receiving so many blessings. This is not the natural bent for me, so I have a long way to go. Thanks Ali.

21. Bathroom Wall Cabinets

2008-06-25 06:07:07 +0800

Cabinets and countertops offer the much-needed storage space in the bathroom to store your toiletries, keep medicines and first-aid box, cleaning milk, moisturizer and deodorants, towels and napkins besides other things that you use daily while showering in your bath. They are powerful accents to your bath décor and help you to define the tone and style of the bathroom wall cabinets and make the best use of the wall and floor surface of the area. http://bathroom-wall-cabinets.blogspot.com .

22. Kim H

2010-01-17 21:08:19 +0800

I was intrigued by the idea last year, and this year will give it a try. After some thought, I have decided to focus on the word "serenity". I get so busy going from work to some other thing, and more often than I care to admit, I become overwhelmed. Setting some time asied to focus, relax, and allow a little peace into my life is a good thing, and all of it captured for me in the one word.

23. skyrock.com

2013-10-18 04:14:34 +0800

I don't know if it's just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering issues
    with your site. It seems like some of the written text on your posts are running off the screen.
    Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This could be a problem with my internet browser because I've had
    this happen before. Thank you

24. Nat Mardon

2014-01-01 10:22:14 +0800

Wow, that's so funny. I hadn't visited your page yet for this year, and had only just tossed around the idea of a word for myself. Came to your page, and there is the very same word I was maybe thinking of staring me in the face - vitality! I had just looked up the word on dictionary.com and it didn't seem to gel with what I thought it would be, but I'll have a look through your thoughts on it and see if its the same... maybe it was meant to be after all.

25. jewelry cleaner

2014-04-16 09:37:35 +0800

We are a gaggpe of volunteers and opening a neww scheme in our community.
    Yoour site provided us with useful info to work on. You've performed an impressive job
    and our entire community can be thankful to you.

Visit my weblog ... jewelry cleaner