Three Things : On My Table

Threethings

My work table is a total disaster right now (not to mention the floor around my table).

Piles of things I have pulled out from the lockers; pieces of paper with notes jotted on the front and back of concepts and ideas I want to implement (these notes are currently keeping me sane); punches; adhesive; paint. Projects in progress.

Messydesk

Yes, it could be more of a mess. I've seen worse around here. But for someone like me who was really getting the hang of cleaning up everything after completing a project this feels like one big mess that just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

These days those longer chunks of time are harder to come by (hence the very messy table) yet the ideas and the passion is definitely still there. I am relearning how to get things done & how to work in minutes rather than hours. In between feeding and changing and playing with Anna I am scanning and uploading and printing and adhering and painting. Less concerned with the mess than attempting to get some creative work done in the moments I have available.

Luckily, in the midst of all those piles, I have been inspired by a bunch of new-to-me products including the three shown above. All found on my table this week:

1. Martha Stewart Scallop Dot Edge Punch. I noticed last week that Scrapbook.com now carries some of the Martha Stewart craft products. I ordered this one last week and am really excited to put it to good use.

2. Tim Holtz Mini Paper Clips. Looking forward to using these to attach some real life ephemera. The size is just right: not too big + not too small.

3. Jenni Bowlin Pearl Flowers. These little gems have made their way on to a couple of my projects for the magazine recently including the layout featuring the Anna's playlist. It's a great little touch.

What's on your desk or table today? Are you working in the midst of a mess too?

Dottedline

[ Three Things is a weekly product series : check out the archives here. ]

view more comments
25 of 130
  1. Ali Edwards

2009-04-14 20:16:35 +0200

YES :). It's kinda like going shopping in your own space.

2. Kathleen Kraft

2009-04-14 20:47:17 +0200

My desk is a continual cycle of cleaning and more stuff finding it's way on there. Two weeks ago I almost cleared it and I remember sitting at my desk thinking."so THIS is what my desk looks like." right now remnants of easter cards, a quilt wall haning-in-progress and assorted new emphemra (plus camera and lessons from Karen Russell class and oh yea the last of the tax work..) geesh! Can't wait to clean again..!

3. Kim Rose

2009-04-14 21:54:30 +0200

Taxes, work, taxes, work. Not much scrap supplies on my desk today. I can always dream!
    Tax deadline is tom. Hopefully my desk will change then!

4. Christine Hogue

2009-04-14 21:56:11 +0200

My wonderful husband recently packed up my office/scrapbook room to paint and re-organize. He did his part...the painting and putting together of the new shelves. Now I am sorting through it all. I think I have finally figured out a system I like and can stick with...only time will tell. As the mother of a 13 year old, I can say enjoy these times of no time for yourself.....I find myself working to grow him up and wishing to keep him close all at the same time. I kind of wish he would need more of my time these days.

5. JenRay

2009-04-14 22:02:46 +0200

My work space is a mess right now, and I am so tired with first trimester baby growing, I haven't done a thing about it for weeks! It has a bunch of felt and embroidery thread for a project making felt food to go in the play kitchen we are getting DD for her 2nd bday. It also has photos, LOs, and album for my wedding album that I was inspired to work on by the last issue of SS. And a bunch of stuff I made when I got to try out a friend's Cricut. My space was so tidy before, and I need to get back to that so that I CAN create in the little minutes I can steal!

6. Shannon D

2009-04-14 22:04:26 +0200

Getting pages done at this stage is a great accomplishment! It does get better. I am still playing catch up, just because I want too and I like you have great things jotted down in a book. So currently my table is a mess too. At least you have a door to shut, mine lives on my formal dining table! But it stays there as I try to do a page or two most days, and I am catching up! I am working on current stuff and have about six months worth of behind left. When I finish I just tidy things back into their appropriate piles so I can find stuff next time! Good on you for scrapping and remember the first six months is hard to tidy and keep everything perfect. Just do what makes you happy and keeps the house running, it goes by way too fast. Blink and my baby girl is turning two next month. Take it slow and enjoy.
    Shannon
    x

7. Scrappyjen

2009-04-15 01:38:31 +0200

My desk is a mess but it's a good kind of messy. After a creative funk it's letting me know that I've got my groove back. Amidst it all is new pic of my beauty-filled man and me, a new layout and a whole collection of embellishments that threaten to overwhealm and inspire me. Gotta love creating.

8. Julie Howard

2009-04-15 01:54:10 +0200

My desk is a mess as well, as I am trying to reorganize things, and failing miserably at the moment.

9. kerry

2009-04-15 02:25:15 +0200

My work area is the kitchen table so I absolutely have to tidy it away after each craft session. If I had my own area though I would be exactly the same.
    That Martha Stewart punch looks fabulous. I have been meaning to have a look at them and now I have the perfect excuse.

10. Nikki M

2009-04-15 02:56:22 +0200

My "work" space is ridiculous at the moment too! Shared experiences are fabulous, aren't they! My 4-year-old has a 2-week spring break from preschool so we are enjoying craft time while our little one is sleeping. Awesome time together but amazing how fast she can pull stuff out! Just finished making a book for my DD inspired by your felt Valentine's Day book. SO SO SO much fun! Will have to send you picks, if you are interested. Also working on weight loss journal, b-day cards, project 365...it's a mess! Post it's are also my saviour. Thanks for sharing. Love to hear how you are all getting along. ALMOST makes me want one more baby. ALMOST. Hugs to you!

11. Niella

2009-04-15 04:38:33 +0200

Oh this is such a feel good post for me, as I too have a desk (two actually) that have piles on them!! They are happy piles though...new papers and embellies to play with.
    So exciting.

12. Katy

2009-04-15 05:12:21 +0200

sadly yes. it's sort of a disaster, but that's what happens when you're in the middle of three projects. Thankfully I've managed to move just about all of it into the right room and it's not scattered in the living room as well.

13. Rhonda Hestir

2009-04-15 07:09:21 +0200

I see you got the Extra Giga punches!! I LOVE mine. Am using them to punch the photos for my Library of Memories Album Title Pages. SO FAST.
    I mentioned McGill having the nesting "Fancy Squares" punches (artisan shaped), and I see StampinUP has one, too, with coordinating label stamps.

14. Rhonda Hestir

2009-04-15 07:16:25 +0200

Totally, Carrie. Are you a newbie or alum? It feels so good to know where everything IS and SHOULD GO. I really feel like I could find anthing I needed photo-wise in 10 min or less...
    I go by mom2h on the LOM boards.

15. Melanie J

2009-04-15 09:05:37 +0200

I'm constantly working in a mess :) The three things on my scrap table right now are: 1) Paper Trunk's Maybe Baby line; 2) Amy Butler's die cut butterfly sheet (love this!); and 3) Zip Dry glue. I'm making a mini-album .

16. Beth

2009-04-15 10:39:14 +0200

On my desk is a HUGE pile of clean clothes just waiting to be put away. My scrap area is in my bedroom so it gets a little cramped. Honestly... It's a lot cramped, but it works great for me.

17. Annamarie

2009-04-15 12:21:22 +0200

I usually just shuffle piles of messes from one corner of my desk to the other. Stuff covering every horizontal surface. Guess it's time for a good spring clean.

18. Noell Hyman

2009-04-15 12:30:16 +0200

Oh, you're so lucky! I would love to have those news articles!

19. Noell Hyman

2009-04-15 12:35:09 +0200

Hey, Mel, creative people tend to make big messes, so at those times (okay, most of the time) when I'm not in a state to clean it up, I just embrace it. ;)
    Yesterday I was working on a layout on TOP of all the stuff on my table--Yeah, I didn't have a hard surface to work on. That's how cool and creative I am, lol!

20. PJ

2009-04-15 13:04:44 +0200

Right now my craft table is back in it's place (have been re-doing and re-painting my whole studio), so that alone is a reason for a little happy dance...
    And on it is a pile of yellow ad B&W stuff waiting to be transformed into an easter album...
    Now i've got to find the time to start working on it!!!
    Love the MS craft punch BTW, i so wish they would sell that over here!

21. Sharon

2009-04-15 14:58:04 +0200

Yup, got a mess going, but I have been doing some creative things as well after a year long creative slump, and let me tell you it feels really great to be back at it, mess or no mess! It has been fun trying out a lot of new (to me) techniques - like creating a border scallop with a corner punch.

22. Michelle O.

2009-04-15 15:01:07 +0200

My desk is a disaster area. and I need to clean it up before we have company over.

23. Mary S.

2009-04-15 15:06:54 +0200

My desk is full of "to do" project that I have not done yet. I look at it and don't know where to start...its a total mess!

24. Shannon

2009-04-15 16:00:32 +0200

Bella's Lullabye from twilight :)

25. Maggie

2009-04-15 21:10:51 +0200

Favorite tool: http://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/time_zone.shtml
    Favorite song this week: Miley Cyrus - "THE CLIMB" (Just saw the movie...good stuff, great music throughout!)