Lately you...

Simon3

Lately...

1. You have been doing awesome with your morning routine. No grumpiness waking up and barely any fuss when we comb your hair before heading outside to catch the bus for summer school.

2. You love to play tag & chase before the bus picks you up. We discovered this a couple months ago and it has made a big difference in your attitude right before you get on the bus. Something about getting to run around a bit with Mom or Dad in the fresh morning air seems to do the trick.

3. You want to be the first one to greet Anna in the morning. You like to unwrap her from her blanket and say "good morning Anna" or "good morning fancy pants." Then you come yelling to me, "Anna's awake! Anna's awake! Come see! Come see!"

Simon2

4. You are finding that the power to read is a very, very cool thing. New books from the library are longer and more interesting. Yesterday morning you wanted to check out the comics while we ate breakfast.

5. You are rockin the legos. You now get that if something breaks off or falls apart all you need to do is grab the instructions and it's an easy fix. I found you in your room last night putting one of the smaller ships back together calmly and actually enjoying the process (vs. being really, really upset that a piece had broken off).

6. You and I have been watching Harry Potter movies almost every night. I love that this is something we both really enjoy.

7. You went down the big slide at the outdoor pool today all by yourself and swam to the side.

Simon1

8. You are developing more independence & self-awareness. A couple of times in the last week you have made the choice to go to bed when you felt tired (and told us that was what you were going to do). Being able to care for yourself and your needs is such a cool skill.

9. You are also doing a lot of talking back and testing. We go back and forth between being excited to have you expressing yourself and feeling super frustrated with some of the behaviors that go along with you testing the boundaries.

10. You love to talk about how cool Anna is and include her in everything you are doing.You are an amazing, loving big brother.

1. jes

2009-07-15 11:27:25 -0400

i love when you share such wonderful bits of progress with us. simon seems like a great big brother and it's neat to hear how his personality is growing and developing.

2. Rachel

2009-07-15 11:45:44 -0400

So sweet. Simon is looking more and more like his dad! He's one cute little boy :)
    Thanks for sharing this. It's very motivating to me to keep up with my journaling.

3. tami

2009-07-15 12:09:25 -0400

God bless Simon!

4. Amanda McGregor

2009-07-15 13:33:55 -0400

Ali, you are so good at actually seeing Simon, seeing what he is doing and why, and noticing all the little changes and breakthroughs...well done!

5. Kariss

2009-07-15 14:07:21 -0400

You talk so sweet about/too your kids. I hope that one day I get that amazing opportunity as well. Love reading your blog. Simon and Anna are such beautiful kids! Thank you for the inspiration (daily).
    Kariss

6. Shannon Davey

2009-07-15 17:44:06 -0400

Wow Simon is growing up! So great to have these everyday milestones witten down for all to read. And great for you to look back on and be able to see just what a great job you are doing - often another persons persepective makes you realise just what you are achieving everyday. Go Simon! Thanks for sharing Ali, go celebrate your family :)

7. Teresa Smith

2009-07-15 17:55:01 -0400

WOW! Can I just say that your son sounds a lot like mine. Just about every single one of those items is like my kiddo. So glad to hear mine isn't the only one like that about getting easily frusterated and talking back. Still wishing he would learn about the legos though. He just had his grandpa glue the ones that he doesn't want to break at all (most of the Star Wars sets). I love all the new journeys with my kiddos as well. Lets us learn a little something or maybe just remember what it was like when we were younger.

8. CharlieDK

2009-07-15 20:57:07 -0400

Lovely to read this and thrilled for Simon and you that things are moving in the right direction. Cool that being a big brother is something he really likes and something that makes him want to get more independant. The testing boundaries thing is ALWAYS a test on parents - been there done that - but also a healthy sign. =0)
    Coming from the country where Lego is from I smile when I read about Simon and Lego. In my opinion these bricks are one of the best toys for kids especially when they reach the point of understanding "it's not broken - you can reassemble it. Thanks for sharing this story.

9. caro

2009-07-16 00:02:38 -0400

Great Simon news!

10. Tammy McClafferty

2009-07-16 01:29:18 -0400

The way you see things and are able to put in words is awe-inspiring! You and your family are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!

11. Danielle

2009-07-16 01:46:47 -0400

This post is as much of a tribute to you and your husband as it is to Simon! What a great kid! And I love that he's such a great big brother - so sweet!

12. Laura

2009-07-16 02:54:51 -0400

He is awesome!

13. Keandra Perkins-Willis

2009-07-16 04:17:50 -0400

i'm so glad that simon is flourishing! it's so amazing to me how one child can look so much like his dad and the next looks so much like her mom! continue to be blessed!

14. sam

2009-07-16 06:04:15 -0400

It sounds like your son is developing some great Hobbies for himself that are developing his sense of self!

15. Marci Carr

2009-07-16 10:15:18 -0400

And you are an amazing mom!

16. Stacie

2009-07-16 12:17:10 -0400

love this post...need to do this for my boys...just documenting life. your last pic made me think of a favorite piece of paper...it's from BoBunny'snew line Popsicle and it is bright blue with dandilions on the side...perfect for making a wish!

17. Rachel

2009-07-16 12:21:41 -0400

I am a mom of 3. A single mom of 3. You give me such inspiration. Thank you!
    And also, since my divorce the color yellow has really reminded me to be happy in life... and I am DYING to know where you got the yellow blanket on the bed in the picture with Simon. Please share a link!!!
    Pretty please?
    Rachel
    www.rachelcox.blogspot.com

18. Melissa

2009-07-16 14:06:13 -0400

I was feeling kinda bummed that my own little Aspie (6 now) was hitting a plateau. But reading your blog and thinking what progress you've had and where you and your family are - made me think a little harder and really look at our picture in life. He's doing much better than what I though - Thanks for the boost!
    :) M

19. Nikki M

2009-07-16 15:48:57 -0400

I had a horribly frustrating day with my sassy 4-year old and my teething 14-month old (3 molars at the same time!!). Reading this posting about Simon...you are so incredible the way you bring the joys of motherhood front and center. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

20. Jenny Alfonso

2009-07-17 03:13:07 -0400

It's so very cool to see how much Simon has grown! And even cooler to see how far he has come! My son has autism too and we LOVE celebrating everyday accomplishments for him :) It is ordinary for others but for us it is extraordinary! Thanks for the Simon update!

21. Tetcy

2009-07-17 10:13:51 -0400

You have stumbled onto the key to joy....celebrate the little steps forward, and don't dwell on the things that make you frustrated. It can be hard, painstaking, and defeating, but by celebrating life and all its blessings, you make it through!
    You go girl!

22. Lisa R.

2009-07-17 11:33:15 -0400

I love the fact that you make lists of things your kids are doing RIGHT NOW in their life. What a beautiful thing to look back on. My kids are teens now, but it's not too late to do that, right?! Thanks for the inspiration.

23. Jeanne

2009-07-17 19:48:44 -0400

This is the sweetest post and he will love reading this some day...and so will your daughter!!

24. Cynthia

2009-07-18 11:33:34 -0400

Thank you for sharing these wonderful beautiful bits of your life. what amazing brother simon is !!!!

25. summerbellies

2009-07-21 16:50:19 -0400

So excited for him....( and for you too! ). I lurk every once in awhile to see what you guys are up too and am happy to hear things are heading in the total right direction with Simon. A close friend of mine's little boy has Autism and just made the strides of using the potty and telling her when he has to go. He just turned 4 in April and this is HUGE. We are so excited for him.