Celebrating Simon & Scrapbooking With Your Computer

Simonbday
This is one of the coolest kids I know.

He is still in that awesome place where he believes in magic. Oh how I hope to encourage him to never lose that skill at being delighted by life.

At his family birthday party last night he was thrilled and thankful (expressing his thanks both spontaneously and when he was gently reminded). One of my favorite parts of the evening was when he read his cards out loud (the first year he has done that). Hearing, in his own voice, what each of us wrote to him was really special.

While Chris lit the candles on his cake he went into the other room so he could be surprised by the cake and all of us sitting around the table. With the cake on the table and the candles glowing Chris went to get him, had him close his eyes and walked him around the house before bringing him back to the table (so glad I had long candles for the cake). When he was brought back to the table and opened his eyes we all yelled surprise and the look on his face, the absolute joy, was priceless.

The photo above showing him in mid-wish before blowing out the candles is my favorite from the day.

AE_StitchedLine

I hope you enjoyed the basic information on Scrapbooking With Your Computer this week. I definitely let the content evolve over the course of the week (keeping it really simple) and still have a bunch of things on my list to share with you.

With that in mind I am planning to do two things:

(1) Coming soon I will do another weekly feature focused specifially on hybrid scrapbooking. I want to put some projects together with step by step photos of my processes. I need a little time to get that going.

(2) I am going to designate one day per week for a post on Scrapbooking With Your Computer. Each week I will bring you a specific tip, how-to, or video tutorial that will walk you through a specific process or idea. Some concepts will be digital and some hybrid. I currently have a list of questions that I will be using to generate specific content for the next few weeks but if there is something specific you would like to see me cover feel free to leave a comment below or email me ali at ali edwards design dot com.

view more comments
25 of 104
  1. Kristi

2010-01-22 21:48:55 +0100

I was just thinking the other day that Simon's birthday was almost here. I love the photo and as always, the perfect way you describe everything. Thanks for sharing your special family moments with us :-) No matter how my day went, I always feel so much happier after visiting your blog.

2. young c-m

2010-01-22 22:23:38 +0100

What a great pic! Thanks for sharing these wonderful moments...

3. Elizabeth

2010-01-22 22:25:52 +0100

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIMON:) Hope you had a wonderful day and may this year bring you tons of HAPPINESS!

4. Alida Post

2010-01-22 23:15:59 +0100

Firstly, Happy Birthday Simon! I've been following your blog and books for a few years and have seen photo's of him since baby and todler hood, so he's quite special to me.
    Then, thanks again for the series. I can finally CLIP stuff into templates. That is huge for me. I've previously opened my photo's in organizer and just dragged them on top of templates. It didn't work for anything but square and was quite a drag (Pardon the pun).
    I was also wondering about the process of keeping track of supplies used in a layout. Seems courtesy to always mention your supplies when posting a layout. And link back. No idea how one does that.

5. liz

2010-01-23 00:37:16 +0100

I hope he never stops wishing! Love you guys.

6. Lynette

2010-01-23 03:26:33 +0100

Ali, thank you for your generosity in sharing your knowledge with us...you are such a blessing.

7. robin

2010-01-23 04:29:05 +0100

This may be overly simple but I always have a time and a half getting any text or element to line up perfectly inside of my marvy punches. Could you share information on how you calculate your margins and how you are sure you txt will fit just right inside once you are finished with designing what you want to punch. I have googled my heart out for this one. I know there has to be an easier way than to way I fiddle over and over to achieve something that should be so simple.
    Thanks, Robin

8. Shannon

2010-01-23 06:08:30 +0100

Happy Birthday to your very special little guy.My amazing oldest daughter is about 1 year younger than him and I owe the two of you a world of thanks. It is because of you and your blog (and my awesome local scrapbook store owner, Cass, who directed my to your blog) that I was able to realize that I wasn't a "crazy, over-protective, first time mom." After reading a lot of your posts and a lot of the linked info you had about autism I was able to have my daughter diagnosed. She has blossomed since the diagnosis. (As a matter of fact we are getting ready for karate class right now!) So, happy birthday to one of my favorite guys I've never actually met!

9. Jacqueline

2010-01-23 07:27:02 +0100

This is such a sweet picture - that expression on his face is priceless. I am so glad that you have captured that forever...

10. debbi g.

2010-01-23 07:41:03 +0100

I can see why this is your favorite photo. Very sweet.

11. Susan

2010-01-23 07:51:22 +0100

Hi Ali,
    Thank you soooo much for the videos! I had Elements and was too overwhelmed to work with it. You made the process seem so easy. Thank you for keeping it simple. That is my one word for 2010 ;)
    Great picture of Simon. Was wondering if you played around with that picture or is that how it came out?
    ~Susan

12. JillT

2010-01-23 08:14:24 +0100

My first thought was "Yay, we get to see a family picture!" But don't think this hasn't been a wonderful week of instruction. It must be wonderful to know that you have the talent and 'celebrity' to bring this to so many people out there. This has been my NY resolution and it WILL start Feb 1 w/ the purchase of elements. Thank you so very much. Looking forward to hybrid hints.

13. Maria

2010-01-23 08:54:57 +0100

This is wonderful! I love these posts and video tutorial. So glad to see that you will keep them coming! Happy birthday to Simon and what an awesome moment you captured in that photo! Wow.

14. shelly k

2010-01-23 09:33:23 +0100

Thanks for sharing Simon's birthday with us! And thank you for an awesome week of information! I can't wait to have some time to go through it in detail...crazy life right now...crazy good!
    Enjoy your weekend!

15. Paula

2010-01-23 10:38:13 +0100

Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. You have no idea how much this is appreciated when you don't have the funds to purchase the classes.
    Thank you very much Ali!

16. Ali Edwards

2010-01-23 11:30:32 +0100

Amazingly that is how it came out. I upgraded our camera recently to the 5D and it is able to do pretty amazing things in low light.

17. Ali Edwards

2010-01-23 11:31:20 +0100

Awesome to read about your daughter Shannon :).

18. Jenn

2010-01-23 11:50:08 +0100

Happy Birthday Simon! How wonderful that you go to lengths to keep the magic for him.
    I'm thrilled to hear you'll be doing some digi-scrap stuff, can't wait to see!

19. BettyJo

2010-01-23 13:06:54 +0100

Thank you so much for the great template and all the great info!

20. Mardi

2010-01-23 16:37:20 +0100

Thankyou again Ali...not only have I loved and learnt so much from your tutorials....but you have blown me away with a blog comment... that made my day...thankyou.
    Happy Birthday to beautiful Simon too..

21. {vicki}

2010-01-23 18:45:16 +0100

First---Happy Birthday to Simon
    2nd--love the idea of the once a week "scrapbooking with your computer"--thanks for that---and for what it's worth VIDEOS are so much easier for me to follow along than just a tutorial ----(not sure which is easier for you though)

22. Pamela

2010-01-24 12:36:54 +0100

Thank you so much for your computer scrapbooking four day course. I am using CS4 and really appreciate knowing how you think and do. I've been doing a bit of digital scrapping and now that I understand this better now, I see the possibilities - thank you so much. I look forward to learning more from your upcoming posts...as always.

23. sansku :)

2010-01-24 14:24:01 +0100

love this picture of simon! you have captured a very special moment.
    i just wanted to thank you for the digital tutorials. i have been wanting to use digital elements in my photos and these tutorials really helped. now i can purchase more of your digital kits. :)

24. Meesan | Gaming Computers

2010-05-29 21:06:41 +0200

This is such a cute photo! This kid looks so sweet! Happy birthday little dude!

25. Term Papers

2010-08-02 07:53:02 +0200

Another great article. I like that you are very honest and direct to the point.