Siblings Layout

AE_Children2010_Web
Click the image to view larger. Two-page, 8.5x11 digital layout.

We spent this past weekend on the coast with my parents ringing in the new year.

One of the things I love about digital scrapbooking is that stories can get told from anywhere you have access to a computer. Some of you may remember this photo from Thanksgiving 2007. The evenings this time visit looked pretty much much the same (everyone sitting around the living room with their laptop). The only difference is that Chris now has a Mac too.

It's been a long time since I scrapbooked layouts just for the sake of scrapbooking (vs. writing a column, fulfilling an assignment, or most recently creating pages for my online class). I loved sitting there on my parent's couch in the evening, computer in my lap, chit-chatting about what each of us was working on and looking at online.

This digital layout came together fairly quickly. It's a simple celebration to kick off the new year. I was inspired by Laura Kurz' use of full page photos (and before her I have always loved how Karen Russell has used enlargements). I love the idea of seeing more of these sorts of full page photos in my albums.

Siblingslayoutphoto
Here's a look at the printed version of this digital layout. I recently got a new oversized printer that I have been enjoying and using the last couple of months. It's an HP Photosmart B8550 Inkjet Photo Printer
(picked it up at OfficeMax when my old HP Photosmart stopped working). The layout was printed on Office Max brand 13x19 photo paper and then trimmed to size and slipped into two, 8.5x11 page protectors.

JOURNALING
January One : We celebrated New Year’s weekend on the Oregon coast with Grandma Pati & Grandpa Al. Out to the tall grass we headed to make sure to capture a little of the sunshine that was peeking through the clouds (and attempt to get a photo of both of you looking at the camera at the same time). In 2010 one of you will turn one and the other will turn eight. One will learn to walk; the other to read longer & longer chapter books. You will both continue to get to know each other as your personalities continue to develop. Here’s to the two of you.

SUPPLIES
Pattern Paper
Spot Dots No.18 Paper Pack

Word Art: My Family Genealogy Definitons
StitchingStitched Layered Template No.2

2010 Bracket
AEdwards 2010-2012 Brackets
Circle AccentAEdwards Love Epoxy
Gold HeartPKnox Puttin On The Glitz Fabric Hearts
White CardstockMMartin Alana Solids
Fonts: Garamond, Aja

Today I will be pulling out my paper supplies to do some more layouts.

The last few days of my December Daily are coming later this week.

Dottedline
For more information on getting started digital scrapbooking I have a list of recommended resources here

1. Marlies

2010-01-04 07:59:32 -0500

I love this layout and can relate to your journaling. My youngest is 1 year old and my oldest has just turned 6; it's so much fun to see them in their different life stages, but also to see them interact.
    Also wanted to share my word for 2010 here, if it's ok with you. At first I thought it would have to me an active or at least creative word, because I'm trying to start working as a professional photographer. But then I fell quiet......and that's the thing I need and want the most this year!
    QUIET. a quiet life: free from disturbance or tumult, tranquil and peaceful. Free from disturbing thoughts and emotions: mentally peaceful.
    My first action today is NOT to watch tv and NOT to do stuff on the bus to work, but simply enjoy my music and watch the time slow down!
    Thanks for helping me start of consciously in 2010!
    Marlies

2. Ali Edwards

2010-01-04 08:09:04 -0500

Hey Andrea - this one will go in our family album. You can read more about my organization thoughts now that Anna has joined us here: /2009/09/organizing-scrapbook-albums-an-update.html

3. Julie L

2010-01-04 08:31:17 -0500

What a beautiful layout! Add me to the group of interested in switching to digi/hybrid scrapbooking. I'm looking forward to your post next week addressing Holly S.' questions. One thing that I've been wondering about is the longevity of the photos printed on a home printer v.s. at a photo lab. I love the idea of the convenience of printing at home but I thought I had read somewhere that photos printed on a home printer won't hold up as well. Also do you notice a difference in quality from your printer? Thanks for any insight in printing at home.

4. Janete from Brasil

2010-01-04 08:31:34 -0500

This is really cute

5. Annika

2010-01-04 08:38:36 -0500

love the layout, and the all-over-the-page pictures!
    Am totally into that! Sometimes more is more ;-)!
    More photo more awww!

6. Lori

2010-01-04 09:02:25 -0500

Ali-
    love the enlarged photo picture and layout (and karen's inspiration - i'm taking her class right now :) . Your photo printer sounds really great - i think i'll put that on my wish list - mine is a joke when i try and print out pictures! look forward to seeing your last few completed dd pages. i placed my order last week to scrapbookpictures for the rest of my pages. I look forward to wrapping up the project. thanks again for your inspiration - i loved doing the album for the 1st time.

7. Amybug

2010-01-04 09:41:30 -0500

This is one of the few layouts that I really like that uses a lot of "white space" - I'd like to try more of that this year, I tend to try to cram in too much.
    I love my wide format photo printer! I use a lot of 13x19 photo paper too. It's nice to be able to design something and then have it a few minutes later. Have fun with it!

8. Jackie S

2010-01-04 09:56:24 -0500

Love this layout, Ali.

9. liz

2010-01-04 11:55:16 -0500

Sibling 'layout', so much better than a sibling 'fallout'. Just kidding - love you guys! Happy New Year to you and Chris and two of my favorite kidlets.

10. Monika Wright

2010-01-04 12:47:05 -0500

Seems like a lot of us are getting on the digi train, whoo hoo. I won a place in Renee Pearson's next class from Cathy Z and am so very excited. I have never attempted a fully digital page and just recently learned how to add brushes, etc from a free Jessica Sprague class. I took full advantage of the 25 cent holiday extravaganza at Designer Digitals knowing that I would try to take these new steps in scrapbooking.
    Could you tell me what you thought of the Office Max photo paper? We have an Epson R1900, which is a wide format printer, and always buy the Epson paper thinking that store brands will not produce anything acceptable. Would you buy it again?
    Looking forward to your post next week about all things digital, photo organization, which is getting ridiculous around here (we are on a Mac, use Aperture, and I am learning to do some editing in PSE). Oh, and please answer some of the questions from Holly S, too!
    Thanks again for featuring one of my DD pages on the blog...it's an honor. Really. It is.

11. Ali

2010-01-04 14:18:31 -0500

I would and will buy that paper again Monika - I have been really satisfied with it.

12. Ali

2010-01-04 14:19:54 -0500

Thanks Amy - I was talking to Cathy Z about that today - how what I really liked is the LARGE photo contrasted with the smaller ones (and being able to use a lot of white space next to that really big photo).

13. reyanna

2010-01-04 14:25:19 -0500

LOVE this spread, Ali! I may just have to scraplift that for the Challenge of Me class! LOVE it. :D As always, thank you so much for sharing your life with us.

14. Michele H.

2010-01-04 14:58:49 -0500

adorable page Ali! i'm really liking the enlarged photo:)

15. Barbara P

2010-01-04 15:56:03 -0500

Beautiful layout Ali! I love the large photo as well.
    Happy New Year!
    Barbara

16. Renee J.

2010-01-04 17:40:13 -0500

Ali, this is adorable. 'Have lots of scrapping to do. Thanks for the inspiration!

17. Lynley King

2010-01-04 18:19:35 -0500

Thanks Ali for sharing all your creativeness with us. This is such a beautiful layout, what a great layout to look at to lift your spirits on a bad day!! I also love how you have changed the header for your blog to introduce your word of the year!
    Thanks again for sharing your lives with us.
    Smiles from New Zealand :o)

18. Judy Webb

2010-01-04 22:59:08 -0500

You and Karen Russell are my top two designers that I read and scrap lift the most. I do have a question. I fear printing pages at home will not last, will fade and are not archival. I do not believe HP or Epson state that their dyes/inks are archival. What is your take?

19. Jen K.

2010-01-05 04:10:13 -0500

Ali, I love your templates at DD and have bought too many to count, but I am interested in trying the look of an 8.5 x 11 layout and noticed a deficit in that template size. Pretty, pretty, please could you created some for DD?

20. marsha j

2010-01-05 08:32:19 -0500

loved your layout. the stitched layered template no. 2 at ds doesn't look like what you used in your layout.
    so did you use another template or is it just not posted at ds yet?

21. Ali Edwards

2010-01-05 08:57:02 -0500

I just used some of the stitching from that template :).

22. Ali Edwards

2010-01-05 08:57:20 -0500

I might be able to do that :).

23. Ali Edwards

2010-01-05 08:58:07 -0500

Well, I do most of my printing at home and am going with a bit of trust on this one :).

24. suzette Ladouceur

2010-01-06 02:31:40 -0500

Ali, if you could also explain how to take the text from a personal blog post and insert it into a layout on PSE, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and family with all of us.

25. Cheryl Ann

2010-01-06 07:46:55 -0500

They melt my heart. I am so thankful that you and Chris are blessed with them.