Starting To Plan For Week In The Life

One of the things I worked on this past weekend was finalizing some of the things I will be using for my Week In The Life project that gets underway next week.

If this is your first year documenting a week in your life, welcome! If you are still on the fence, there's always time and there's always modifications but there is never a perfect week.

Thinking About Supplies

I've decided to go with the same format for my album as last year: an 8.5x11 album with regular sized page protectors (a 2-page spread for each day) and a baseball card page protector for each day (7). You can get baseball card page protectors at office supply stores, specialty card stores, and even Toys R Us (that's where I grabbed mine this year).

I also ordered some more 8.5x11 white cardstock - I'll be using that for my base again.

Scrapbook-dot-com_2097_35091162-1
To spice things up this time I'm going to use a red We Are Memory Keepers album (I know, really spicy).

One nice thing about getting your album organized in advance is that you can use it as a storage place as you collect things over the seven days. You can also grab seven envelopes and use those, labeling one for each day of the week.

Right now I'm working on a new design to hold my photos and journaling for the week. Last year I used The Story of Today overlays. Look for something new from me, both printable/hybrid and fully digital/layered template later this week (available this coming weekend at Designer
Digitals

Today's thought:

Is there something specific you want to document this year?

Last year I did running tally/list of what was happening over the course of the day as my journaling. You can see an example here and what the end result looked like here. As you will notice I tended to have much more information early in the day and much less later in the day.

In other years I've emphasized different categories that I made sure I documented each day: food, gratitude, work, etc. I asked on Twitter and Facebook last week what three things people really wanted to document in 2010. Some of the things mentioned included:

1. a photo of your outfit each day (I definitely encourage getting a photo of yourself each day)

2. routines

3. activities

4. ups & downs

5. conversations/overheard/quotes from kids, family, etc

6. things that made me smile

7. hometown

8. what you're watching/listening to/reading (tv, music, internet)

9. mundane tasks

10. observations

11. weather

12. pets

13. what things cost

14. etc

Other ideas? I'd love to hear what you are planning on documenting?

I'm planning to solidify my personal category choices later on this week. What you choose to document will be up to you.

No Better Time For Spring Cleaning

Over the next five days I'll be encouraging a bit of spring cleaning before embarking on this project. Not necessarily all over your house (Simple Mom has a great series planned on that this week), but in your craft area and in your mind as you get ready to take the time to document seven days in your life.

I'm getting excited!

1. Jill

2010-04-13 00:11:07 -0400

Love that album. Maybe I'll have to get one for myself....

2. Kimberly Minyard

2010-04-13 00:38:46 -0400

okay i have been back and forth on this all since you first mentioned it a few months back. I have decided to do it. i hope i can keep up and i am starting tomorrow. Wed thur Tuesday. so here goes and wish me luck!

3. patty

2010-04-13 00:49:21 -0400

maybe i will give this a go next week...like you said there is never the "perfect time."
    A*L*I...what page are you featured in the real simple april issue? i am having trouble finding you.
    thanks!
    patty

4. Kota

2010-04-13 01:07:34 -0400

Dear Ali,
    I love your articles and miss them each month in CK, I have to be content with looking at old issues. I have ordered your mini album book but am having trouble locating your Life Artist book. Even if our styles are nothing alike, our thinking definately is. thanks for all the inspiration, hope to meet you one day!
    Kota
    Centurion
    South Africa

5. linda

2010-04-13 02:09:25 -0400

This year will be my first time joining in and I really want to focus on me, me, me... okay, a bit too much? I just like the idea of capturing a week in the life and doing this every year, I can see the differences and progressions...that's the idea anyway! One thing I always have trouble with is providing enough journaling space...or too much. It's hard to estimate what you might have to say per day, because I want to use similar layout for each day. Just using A4 papers in half with pockets to keep things and to work on top of!

6. Denise Laborde

2010-04-13 02:32:28 -0400

Ali:
    This year your project begins on the the last leg of our 6 week trip so I will not be able to attempt it. I have been keeping a week-by-week chronicle of our trip (no doubt inspired by past WITL projects) that I plan to make into an album once I'm home. I'll be reading along and looking forward to the inspiration.
    Denise

7. Laura

2010-04-13 02:42:09 -0400

I'm actually going to be on vacation next week, as it is spring break for our school district and we're going to travel. It's always fun to "play along" and be part of a community for things like this, even if I'm documenting an out-of-the-ordinary week instead of an ordinary one. Do you have any digital products that are more geared toward vacations?

8. Laura

2010-04-13 02:46:57 -0400

Elisa, if it makes you feel better, I am still putting together my December Daily album, in between making cards and the rest of my life. :-) I have all my materials, took lots of pictures and did a lot of journaling in December, so it's really just a matter of getting the rest of the pictures printed up and putting the pages together. Maybe by Christmas 2010? ha, ha I chose to do a 12 x 12 album instead of a mini-book -- I can really see the wisdom of doing something smaller this year.

9. kimberly

2010-04-13 03:51:42 -0400

Ready to take my toe out of the water and jump into this project with both feet!
    I was finally swayed by the number of women who have said that their Week in a Life album has become one of their most cherished, looking forward to joining in next week!

10. Linda

2010-04-13 04:49:09 -0400

This is a huge transition year for us. Lots and lots of lasts. Our oldest son's last year of grad school, our oldest daughters last year of college...and her commissioning as an officer in the The first months after my Father's death and my Mothr's finding her feet as a widow. All HUGE transitions...and I want to focus on the simple moments I'll miss most. Mr. Rogers in the morning, the cribbage board that no one has the heart to use without Gpa, the last Vanderbilt ROTC pass and review that I will be attending. I realize much of "our life" now might slip pass undocumented...but....it isn't often in life when you realize your doing something for the last time, and I don't want to miss it. (Let's face it if I had realized I had picked up my older children and carried them to bed for the last time....or any of the other lasts that slip past in life...it would have been unbearable.)

11. linda

2010-04-13 04:52:05 -0400

oops..I should have added the twins last year before elementary school. No, I am not watching Mr. Rogers with my college age chidlren. :)

12. Ali Edwards

2010-04-13 05:20:45 -0400

Page 220 :).

13. Ali Edwards

2010-04-13 05:21:12 -0400

Hi Kota - stay tuned...Life Artist will be available as a PDF soon.

14. Ali Edwards

2010-04-13 05:22:02 -0400

:)...so excited for you Kim.

15. Tracey Chalk

2010-04-13 10:44:57 -0400

Think i'm going to document all the things my son has eaten that are actually inedible, aged one. It's a long list and getting longer by the day!

16. Tracey Chalk

2010-04-13 10:48:05 -0400

Forgot to say, Seb is the same age as Anna. He was born last February. Not sure if its because he's a crazy boy or whether Anna is like that too?!

17. Susan

2010-04-14 15:13:56 -0400

I plan on documenting all the important people who have touched my life, but taking pictures of their hands.

18. Fanny

2010-04-19 00:52:02 -0400

I am very excited to start this project along with you from the other side of the ocean! This is a great idea! I love your work.

19. Connie

2010-04-19 06:06:24 -0400

Can't wait to join in this year. Will be some great "normal" things in addition to my normal scrapping.

20. Nikki Attuso

2010-04-19 06:30:33 -0400

I think this is a wonderful idea. These days it hard for families to get together. Everyone is so busy. I think grandparents and great grandparents have so much to offer and so many stories to share.

21. Teresa

2010-04-19 07:05:28 -0400

This time I am going to see this through. I have taken the photos before but never got any farther. Thanks for all your encouragement along the way Ali.
    Something about me.... I am patient. I think:) And sometimes that patience means forgiving instead of snapping back.

22. Tracie Gambino

2010-04-20 03:08:36 -0400

After celebrating my 5th year cancer free last October, a friend of mine told me about this project and I thought it would be really cool to do as a start to a new life of living cancer free! I started out strong but have started dwindling; time is my enemy in one way but also my savior in another. I'm definitely going to try and get back on track! Thank you for continual inspiration!

23. Lisa Aukeman

2010-04-20 09:22:08 -0400

Still finishing the journaling on my Project 365 so not really "doing" this project but I qm watching closely!

24. Elina Kerr

2010-04-20 12:29:55 -0400

I'm very excited about the project. I was taking pictures yesterday wherever I went - walking through the puddles in the rain, spending some time with friends, walking on the beach with my husband... He doesn't understand me YET, why I am documenting literally every step, I believe he will like the outcome, he likes that i'm passionate about scrapbooking. I want to send the album of this week to my family which live now far away, and are not able to see my everyday's life. So i'm excited. Thank you, Ali, for such an idea. It's wonderful. I downloaded some of your templates already to make my documenting process easier and more structural.. so i think i'm gonna be ok!!!
    For everybody else who is participating: have fun!!! :)

25. Juliana

2010-05-01 15:04:13 -0400

You are my favorite... I love your simple and practical way to do scrapbooking!
    Thanks for sharing !