Office Painting Underway

My Mom and I are hard at work making a major change to my office here at home.

After soliciting suggestions on Facebook and checking out all the different whites I'm using Benjamin Moore's Decorator White.

Goodbye yellow office. Bring on the white paint.

1. Deborah

2012-01-14 06:07:49 +1000

Just cannot go wrong with white. What type of finish did you go with? Matte or eggshell? I had an insanely difficult time deciding on wall color and lighting for my design studio/office when we moved into our new home a couple years ago. Drove my husband totally nuts. May I ask what type of light bulbs you use in your office? Thanks!

2. liz

2012-01-14 06:22:54 +1000

Can't ever go wrong with white. Can't wait to see it when it's done!

3. Jamie De Luna

2012-01-14 06:29:25 +1000

Selfishly I can't wait to see how you decorate your office with white walls. I live in an apartment with white walls and am not allowed to paint. I always feel so limited with white walls. Maybe you won't do much different? I still can't wait to see it!

4. Camille

2012-01-14 06:49:40 +1000

I love white too, but be sure to sneak a little yellow back in somewhere. The famous and probably the first woman decorator, Elsie de Wolfe said to always have a bit of sunshime in every room by adding yellow somewhere. What a fresh start to a new year.

5. Jennifer Pebbles

2012-01-14 07:35:13 +1000

Ali, great choice! Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished!!!

6. Erica Hettwer

2012-01-14 07:58:18 +1000

Oh, that sounds like fun! I always love painting rooms with my mom. We have such a good time chatting and such a wonderful sense of satisfaction afterwards.

7. tania smith

2012-01-14 09:45:23 +1000

We painted our basement bedroom BM's Cloud White and I couldn't be happier with the result. I put in a flush mount Debbie Travis light fixture that has faux crystals in 2 clean rows around it and it is just what I needed to soften the starkness of the white. Enjoy getting to know your new fresh space. Remember, furnature can easily be painted too. Maybe Robin's egg lockers are next? Go with your UP feeling and create a work space that lifts you. I LOVE decorating projects with my Mom. She is a big supporter of fresh starts.

8. alicia king

2012-01-14 10:51:02 +1000

can't wait to see your new look, i am a color person, i try and steer far away from white walls!

9. able mabel

2012-01-14 10:58:28 +1000

How fun! Can't wait to see what pops of color you add to the room!

10. KazT

2012-01-14 12:47:22 +1000

I admire that you get things done. I seem to spend too much time deliberating over it and then it all just seems too hard and consequently never gets done. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished room.

11. Marilyn

2012-01-14 13:03:26 +1000

Ahhh! Change is good for the soul! I've struggled with having so much stuff that I cant see the big picture to organize! I've donated 5 trunk loads of paper (1000+), die cuts, a full door of punches, decorative scissors, some stamps, chalks, embellishments, and the list continues. My YMCA was so grateful to receive such a load of things because they are beginning a new program for their youth program on scrap-booking. I offered my time to teach what the teachers were new to and give a brief description of what is needed to begin. I plan to include your website and Scrapbook.com b/c my lss lost their lease 2 years ago and I have no outlet to purchase that special item. I now only take classes with Ali and Big Picture. I order supplies for a specific project only!!!! My room is going to be a very pale beige with high gloss enamel. I'm checking out Ikea for the furniture that will keep me organized. Ali you are so fortunate to have help, esp your mom-I feel as if I know her through your words and photos...Thumbs up to change.
    Marilyn

12. Dionne

2012-01-14 13:16:40 +1000

I have never tried Benjamen Moore paints, and I do a lot of painting. I love color, but I just moved and my bedroom is white and I am enjoying the clean slate feel. If I paint it soon I may look for a white with a slight hint of some other color.

On a totally different not, I am in love with all your stamp sets and could kick my self for not gettin the Aug. This One set(not in the budget that month) and I can't find it anywhere. Will you make more of these? Simon Says just has it as out of stock not sold out forever. Please,Please,Please can you tell I'm addicted? They would work so well for my first year of project life.

13. Shereen

2012-01-14 15:46:24 +1000

I always look forward to a paint project. I "think" I love painting. BUT, it always takes longer than I thought, and WAY more energy than I thought. Still love the results, and I'm always willing to do it again. Please give us a peek when it's all done??

14. Michelle

2012-01-14 16:00:56 +1000

Small house, small rooms, and in the living & dining room we went from white to parchment (what a leap of faith we took back then!) to a 3 layer deep orange-y yellow, topped with a ragged on sunny yellow glaze, topped by an even more dilute layer of a whipped lemon glaze.

I LOVE it, the color changes day to night and glows - but with only east & northern windows in one room and diffuse light from eastern & southern rooms in the other, photo taking can be difficult. Well-lit photos day weren't easy in the first place. Now I custom white balance and often still edit, especially at night. But I don't often scrap here :).

15. Gypsy Chaos

2012-01-14 17:13:46 +1000

LOL! Our two story foyer, kitchen, eating area, family room, stairway and upstairs hallway are painted...... oops. Actually, Behr's Navaho White custom mixed in Benjamin Moore paint.

Our CEILINGS are Benjamin Moore Decorator White. All of them, except the master suite - those ceilings are sky blue with clouds!

^^^ this is what happens when your brain is cluttered + you're lazy. Type the wrong info but just explain it away.

BTW - for those who have one brand's colors custom mixed using another brand's paint -- um, yea, make sure you REMEMBER that when your husband, years later, says he's buying more paint.
    Yes, Benjamin Moore has Navaho White.
    No, it is not the same as Behr Navaho White.

16. ale

2012-01-14 19:16:37 +1000

hi, ali! what i'm about to say it's not paint related, but i think it's home related (and mr.george related!): do you know modkat? the most beautiful litter box i've seen so far.

hope you and your family have a happy weekend!

17. Stephanie

2012-01-14 20:49:45 +1000

Exciting! Can't wait to see the finished product Ali!

18. patricia

2012-01-15 02:34:05 +1000

We don't have white walls (more like an off-white color) but my dream would be to go completely white. I work from home too and colors affect the photos and color choices of everything I do!

What a great way to start the year—clean slate!

19. Cindy

2012-01-15 04:11:23 +1000

I agree, white is such a crisp, clean "color", but I don't have a white wall in my house (trim is white though, does that count? just kididng) I think it will work great in your studio and can't wait to see your finished hard work. The worst part of painting, for me, is cleaning everything out and then putting it back in!

20. Karen

2012-01-15 08:30:33 +1000

Fresh paint, fresh start, fresh white to light a room...sounds perfect! :> There are several rooms here that need a new coat of paint. I want some color in two of the rooms, but a fresh white in the hallway to bring some light in a windowless area is just what it needs. Looking forward to seeing your studio completed...have fun! :>

21. Lori P.

2012-01-15 09:39:08 +1000

I can't wait to see more pictures. I would have never gone with white but with reading your replys I might just have to do that in my craft room. Maybe, just maybe do one lil wall a focus color wall. Hmm?? My room is 9 x 12 (small) but it is "my" craft room. :O)

22. Julie

2012-01-16 03:36:19 +1000

Just painted my tan (with a hint of yellow) dining room and entrance and oyster white....love the freshnes and happy to get rid of the goldishness (although I did like it at one time)

23. Trell

2012-01-17 18:24:05 +1000

How exciting!That's on my list to get done very soon! I love Benjamin Moore paint. White Dove, Decorator's White, and Cloud White are all fabulous.

24. Linda

2012-01-21 04:50:12 +1000

I am totally thinking of repainting my yellow room too! I hate the yellow cast and I have a tiny window in my space :( After I painted it 4 years ago, I knew I hated it...any other room would have worked, but not that room :)

25. Jason

2013-10-25 01:08:26 +1000

I really love the new color, Ali!