Bringing The Summer Manifesto To Life

A few weeks ago I shared my Summer Manifesto.

Ever since then I've been thinking of a way to make those intentions a bit more visible.

What I really wanted was something I could flip through and add to as we experience our summer.

I ended up creating a Summer Manifesto 6x6 Album that includes room for words and photos. The album package is available at Designer Digitals and includes layered templates for use in Photoshop (so you can customize colors and backgrounds) and a 43-page PDF for easy printing (which is what I ended up using).

Here's the basic steps I followed:

1. Print the PDF or play in photoshop and print the individual pages (Persnickety Prints prints 6x6). I printed on Epson's Premium Presentation Matte Paper. If you print the PDF file there are 43 pages. At first I thought I would do it on photo paper and use a Slick Writer for my journaling but decided to go with the presentation paper because I liked the texture better.

2. Trim pages.

3. Adhere pages back to back. I used Scotch adhesive around the edges.

4. Punch holes. I used a Crop A Dile for punching the holes.

5. Add 1-inch binder rings.

6. Write your manifesto items.

7. Add photos and more writing throughout the summer.

Here's a look at some of the inside pages and progress:

If you choose to just print the PDF the cover is shown above.

I decided to open the PSD file in Photoshop (all included in the album package) and use a photo as my background instead.

You could totally use this as a way to record your summer at the end of the summer and make all the "number" pages with a photo for the background.

On the front cover (and to end the album on the back) I used a 6x6 piece of Hambly's Clearly Heavy Overlay.

I was very sad to learn recently that Hambly was closing it's doors. I've long loved and extensively used their overlays in a variety of projects.

On the inside cover I adhered a 6x6 piece of Amy Tangerine's Oh Happy Grey to the back of my photo cover.

I also added a piece of 6x6 Hambly yellow bicycles from my stash.

This is what it looks like when you print out the pages (minus my own manifesto item number one that's handwritten on the left page). I'll be adding a photo on top of the "photo here" section and adding words to the "summer story" section as we experience our summer.

One of the reasons I went with simple binder rings (vs. something like The Cinch - which I seriously considered) is the ease of adding more pages or photos over the course of the summer.

I added just one photo so far. I'm going to print mine with a white border this time for variety.

The Epson PictureMate Show 4x6 printer I've been using and loving has this as an easy option.

I had 13 items on my manifesto but decided to add in a few more pages as options if something comes up I want to add. The package includes up to number twenty.

The printable package includes a "Goodbye Summer" page to end your album. On top of that I added the Hambly bicycle overlay + a Clearly Heavy Overlay.

My plan is to share more throughout the summer as it all unfolds. Here's to celebrating and experiencing with intention!

SUPPLIES

Click on the images to link to the products.

1. cinback

2012-06-12 07:22:28 -0700

So love this! I will be doing this little album for sure. Thanks.

2. Rebecca

2012-06-12 08:59:55 -0700

Love this clever and creative idea!

3. iHanna

2012-06-12 09:05:34 -0700

What a nice idea for a mini book! I just wrote out my manifesto and posted it on a kitchen door to see it all the time and remind myself: summer is here, it is short and I need to act! Thanks for the kick to do it, I love looking at my list a lot. :-)

4. Paula

2012-06-12 13:27:20 -0700

Ali, I wish you would go into the overlay business! Your ideas with overlays are awesome throughout the year and we "digi-challenged" folks need someone as talented as you - I love Hambly, but I bet your overlay ideas take this product to the next level :)

5. blissmamaof3

2012-06-12 13:51:43 -0700

thanks so much for this album! this is going to be so much fun!

6. Isabel S.

2012-06-12 18:24:26 -0700

What a fabulous idea! I know you've heard this a million times before, but it's so worth repeating: You're a VERY talented lady! Thank you for sharing. And oh yes! Ali Edwards overlays...I better start saving my $$$!!!

7. Jessica B

2012-06-12 18:41:09 -0700

Love this book! We always do a small list of what we want to do for each season. I never thought of creating a minibook from it! I can't wait to purchase this template.

Question, How are you liking the Epson PictureMate printer? Trying to decide if I want to purchase it or not for project life. I'm thinking it may keep my on track better to print at home.

8. Kathy

2012-06-12 21:21:33 -0700

Ali, they look great....will definately purchasing it (I see Di from Australia has already got hers...hi di... she is one step ahead of me.

PS... for those people who don't have photoshop elements you can download a 30 day trial for free...maybe gather all your photos and stories, get the templates and then download the free 30 day trial and put your book together at the end in one go and then print. Say you some money until you are ready to buy it. It's worth a thought.

9. Raylene

2012-06-13 11:17:31 -0700

Thank You Ali for the font tip! Very useful!

10. Brandi B.

2012-06-13 12:59:47 -0700

Love it! Especially the overlays!

11. nat

2012-06-14 07:15:01 -0700

awesome idea love it !!!!

12. Kristin

2012-06-15 05:48:42 -0700

This is fabulous Ali, thank you again for sharing your projects. When I first saw your template in DD, I was unsure how it would look. Now, I am thinking yes yes yes it's a great way to celebrate summer without too much pressure. And baths be able to enjoy summer's simple pleasures.

* edited 08/11/14 04:48AM
  13. How to be One of the Strong …………… {and What Christian Sacrifice is Really} » A Holy Experience

2012-06-18 10:20:11 -0700

[...] thinking about this… {#3699} [...]

14. yin

2012-06-19 06:21:19 -0700

This is totally awesome, Ali! Love it! Thanks for the constant inspiration. Making a holiday manisfesto has been so great for my family and made a real difference in how we spent our 4 week school holidays (we live in Singapore) this year! THANK YOU and may your summer be just as wonderful.

15. Melissa

2012-06-20 09:54:07 -0700

Love this concept for a mini album. Would you be willing to create one without the summer stuff on it? Or would it be easy enough to erase that part?

16. Anne-Marie

2012-06-28 06:28:57 -0700

Hey there! I wanted you to know that you inspired my daughter, Grace, and I to create a summer manifesto! We have already accomplished a number of things on our list. Last weekend, we went to the Baltimore Inner Harbor and had the most amazing time. I'm not sure we would have gone on this great adventure without our "Summer Manifesto." Thanks!!

17. Summer Bucket List 2012 | Food and Life

2012-07-03 07:40:43 -0700

[...] summer journal to keep all of our summer memories, and Ali has some great tips for doing just that right here.  Nick is also going to be keeping his own summer journal (all handwritten) to practice and hone [...]

18. Alinor

2012-07-05 01:58:26 -0700

amazing idea, i do need to work on my summer plans!

19. The Bright Side Project » Fresh Squeezed Friday

2012-07-06 12:01:02 -0700

[...] a inspirational summer manifesto diy [...]

20. Summer Dreams~ A Mini Scrapbook | Create with Rebecca

2012-07-09 20:01:24 -0700

[...] not to add stress but to add adventure to our summertime. Inspired by Ali Edwards Summer Manifesto mini scrapbook, I’ve come up with one for my family…SUMMER DREAMS. Here is the beginning of the [...]

21. Links I Love & Gildo Medina Illustrations

2012-07-18 22:38:45 -0700

[...] I’m all for writing journals to keep you on track and clear your mind of worry and weight.  Why not put a time limit and keep a record of things you want/are doing with a summer manifesto?  You can download your own to fill out here… [...]

22. Scrumptious Links For Today BrocanteHome

2012-07-20 01:17:07 -0700

[...] Bringing The Summer Manifesto To Life You know you can transform time by being intentional about it, right? Have a mindful Summer by writing your own manifesto tonight… [...]

23. AE | The Weekend Lens | Ali Edwards

2012-08-06 03:01:13 -0700

[...] NIGHT | A trial run of watching a movie out in our backyard (part of my summer manifesto). Of course we started with The Princess Bride. We’ve got a few people coming over tonight [...]

24. 2012 Summer Manifesto Album | Ali Edwards

2012-10-01 03:01:01 -0700

[...] Finally found some time this past week to finish up my 6×6 Summer Manifesto album. [...]

25. Kathy

2013-06-06 19:32:28 -0700

Hi Ali.........I bought your summer manifesto templates last year and we (in Australia) are just about to embark on two weeks of June school holidays which is WINTER down under. I was wondering what FONT you used so I could change my templates to the word WINTER for the front cover, back cover, front page and the photo page as I would like to make a list of things for us to do over the June holidays like picking strawberries at the strawberry farm which opens in a week. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia