AE Projects In Progress | The Office, Part III

The office is coming along and we are loving the updated space.

Right now I've got some projects I have to focus on that are keeping me from getting it all put together - most specifically about 36 new layouts for my 12-week online workshop at Big Picture this summer called Hello Story (more details and registation coming soon).

I'm also the kind of person that likes to be in a space for a bit to "feel it out" and in this case I'm really trying to avoid bringing in anything that I don't really love or that doesn't add specific functionality. There are already a few things that have crept in here out of necessity (and just to keep other stuff off the floor).

Two weekends ago we got the desks delivered from Ikea. We picked the Galant corner desk in both a left and a right (with the straight legs) so they could be back to back - we like sitting across from each other. These desks were super easy and and fast to put together - especially compared to the kitchen islands.

Right now we are working with simple chairs that I already owned (also from Ikea). Dreaming about and considering this office chair from Crate and Barrel but I want to sit in it first.

Under the desks you'll see my big printer. It has the ability to be wireless but we haven't been able to get it to work just yet that way (hoping the tech guy can help with that). Once we get it to work wirelessly it will move from under the desks to another location to be determined in the room.

On Katie's side of the desk she's got a rolling cart and a metal rolling cart with the cursive typewriter sitting on top. Not sure that's a permanent location just yet but it's working for the moment.

I've only brought a couple things back in to the office from my bedroom so far.

The first was that large white file cabinet (Bedford file cabinet from Pottery Barn) that's to the right of me in the photo above. I'm a fan of files and not having a place to put all my personal and business papers from the last few weeks has made me a little crazy. I'm slowly catching up on that as I want to re-do how I've been doing in in the past (and go through all the files that were in there before and transfer anything that can be in "deeper" storage into file boxes that can go in a closet).

Along the wall is a white 1/2 shelf that I've had for a few years that looks like an Expedit from Ikea but it actually came from West Elm (totally unsure at this moment why I bought this one since it looks exactly the same and is significantly more expensive). I'm thinking about getting a couple of the 1/2 Expedits that are on wheels that could be moved around but mainly just stay along the wall. I like that the top can be a working space.

Looking from our desks back towards the door. Over on the right we've got a long table that I'm not planning to keep in here but we needed to bring it in as we sort through the products and figure out how we want to store things on the kitchen islands.

That big tall black thing in the corner is my camera tri-pod. It's out and being used to film the process of making layouts for my workshop.

The biggest thing that hasn't come back in yet are the lockers. I'm considering spray-painting them (maybe yellow or white) and need to make that decision before they come back in but they will definitely be coming back in the room.

Completely loving the islands - they ended up being larger than I planned in a good way. The drawers are deep and wide which is allowing for all kinds of things to go inside (not in a "now-I'll-stuff-you-full" way but in a way that is allowing for storage of often-used items in an accessible but hidden fashion. I'll share more details on the inside of the drawers in another post in the future.

Along the middle between the two islands we've got some of the most used things that Katie and I both reach for: inks, rolling stamps, pens, washi tape, etc.

The sewing machine is currently on a rolling metal cart. Probably not a permanent home but I'm not sure just yet.

Looking in from the doorway. Shelves to the right hold all my 12x12 albums.

I definitely hope to get some things up on the walls and I'm excited for when that actually happens. We've got a plan for some white clipboards, some pinboards near our desks, and potentially some oversized photos.

Super happy to walk in here each day. Super thankful and honestly, more than a little inspired to get back to making pages again.

You can read more posts about my office overhaul here.

1. Bp

2013-04-27 01:03:14 +0800

Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the room (it looks huge!) and sharing more info about the wire tray that is on the bottom shelf of the island? That tray looks cool and that it might be holding unfinished projects? Looks neat, would love to hear about it.

2. Michelle

2013-04-27 01:10:45 +0800

Lockers in either a bright yellow or how about a "Tiffany Blue?"

Looks awesome!

3. Christine

2013-04-27 02:09:21 +0800

Looking amaZing! I love how bright and airy your space is!

4. Megan Smith

2013-04-27 02:23:33 +0800

It's really coming along Ali! Can't wait to see the finished product. And good luck getting the printer hooked up wirelessly. I had the same struggle.

5. susan garner

2013-04-27 02:42:35 +0800

The room looks fabulous. Would it be possible for you to tell me the name of your cursive typewriter. I know they are hundreds of dollars but I have a birthday coming up soon and 3 sons who just might get their Mum one.!

6. Jean Marmo

2013-04-27 03:26:12 +0800

Wow - fantastic space!

7. Liz

2013-04-27 03:53:27 +0800

yellow for sure - it's a hot decor color right now, but a classic over time... and for inspiration it's a color that compliments so much.

I've had trouble sending large memory image files to my Canon printer wirelessly and another friend found the distance of her printer from computer really impacted the wireless capacity too?? Not a techy, but share so you could ask for your own consideration of location/function

fun to see your progress!

8. Callie Feyen

2013-04-27 08:18:54 +0800

I LOVE that typewriter in the first picture!! Where did you get it and what do you use it for? It's gorgeous. Love the rest of the space as well. That table in the center is awesome.

9. Linda Langes

2013-04-27 11:00:50 +0800

Looking goooood:-) So happy to hear you say you're inspired to create LO's again - that is wonderful for you (and Us!) and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the process of getting back into the creativity that you do so incredibly well.

10. Jasmine

2013-04-27 16:55:49 +0800

Ali - your office/creative space is looking amazing! Love those islands.

11. Jessica

2013-04-28 09:45:22 +0800

Love the islands! Definitely paint the lockers a bright pretty color!

12. CJ

2013-04-28 15:16:07 +0800

Oh wow Ali, it's amazing. What an utterly fantastic space. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

13. J3SS1C4

2013-04-29 06:38:14 +0800

Your craft islands look awesome! I can't wait to see how the rest of the space comes together... I'm similar to you in that I don't like bringing the stuff back in until I use it when I clean out a space.

14. jenn shurkus

2013-04-29 21:43:32 +0800

new space is looking fabulous :) i'm in the middle of reworking my creative space in my new loft apt- so this is inspiring :) oh yea,.... and hello to lily ;)

15. Suzanne

2013-04-29 22:33:56 +0800

It looks like you have the same printer as me....Epson R2000? I can't get it to work wirelessly yet either...if your tech guy figures it out I'd love to know how too! Office is looking fantastic!

16. Kris Van Allen

2013-04-30 02:11:45 +0800

I have the Galant desk from Ikea also, and just love it. I looked around for a long time, and it was well worth the time to look. You'll be very happy!

17. Kathy McDonald

2013-04-30 02:28:07 +0800

Hi Ali! Oh, how your new space inspires me! I will be moving to my childhood home when I retire in two years, and I am having so much fun planning my craft space. Can you tell me the color of your beautiful flooring? Is it birch, by chance? I think it would be a great choice in my space. Thanks so much for sharing!

18. Kirsten J

2013-04-30 23:14:43 +0800

Great Goodwill find, Katie!!! Inspiration for me to never give up - there are treasures to be found. And I've thought this before - you guys must love the light in that room. But a question: do you you worry about sunlight and fading things? my husband is always harping about the damaging effects of light, and shutting blinds. I swear he should be a vampire, but he wants to retire to Arizona someday, lol. So my craft room is light and I love it, and he stays out of there....but I have noticed my furniture yellowing and can't leave anything I really care about on the shelves by the window. Do you deal with the same?

19. Nicole

2013-05-03 00:53:45 +0800

Oh, Ali, how I love the islands. They are perfect! I might have to hit up Ikea! :)

20. Anna

2013-05-05 14:21:50 +0800

You have a workspace that I can only ever DREAM about! Love the natural light and airy feel it has (with only looking at the photos!) Job well done!

21. marcy

2013-05-07 02:40:52 +0800

That's so funny ali. I'm busy planning my future space and intend to have those 1/2 expedits running along one wall as well. Your space is turning out amazing.

* edited 08/09/14 05:51AM
  22. AE Projects In Progress | The Office, Part IV + A $150 Minted Giveaway | Ali Edwards

2013-06-28 18:00:27 +0800

[...] Read more about the transformation and the process here and here and here. [...]

23. coffee tables

2013-08-27 20:15:25 +0800

Excellent post. I certainly love this site. Stick with it!

24. Sara Grafton

2013-11-25 08:37:10 +0800

My Varde island is one order and will be delivered in about 3 weeks. I would love to see how you are using the drawers. I am optimistic that the island can store most of my craft supplies and give me enough workspace.

25. Anika

2013-12-15 05:58:55 +0800

I have really enjoyed this series of posts about your office renovation and am hoping you will post a update. I am inspired to purge my stuff whenever I look at your photos. Thanks :)