Project Life | Week Five

Hello Project Life | Week Five.

Click any image to view larger.

Page one:

First page insert:

This week I added in one 8.5 inch x 11 inch page protector.

I didn't feel like doing any cutting and stitching so inside the page protector I slipped the cute certificate from the hair-cut place, a little envelope with Anna's hair, the story of her first hair-cut printed on a long journaler, and a little photo of her adhered to the top of the long journaler (I just moved my text down to make room - look for a video tutorial on working with these overlays to be posted later this week).

I attached the little hair envelope to the certificate with one of Tim's Trinket Pins.

On the other side of the page protector I included the program from an event Chris and I attended on Saturday night.

Close up of page two:

This week I asked Chris if he'd write a bit on a card.

It was his first week back at the Capitol and there's usually a couple weeks of transition for him as he gets back in the swing of the workload and time. Here's what he wrote:

Our babysitter is also great at getting in on the documentation. Here's a card she inserted this past week:

I also included a bit of handwriting from Simon in the form of a little yellow sticky note:

Anna decided to draw on Simon's little note too.

Something new I added this week is a 4 inch x 6 inch journal card. Some days/weeks I want to add a bit more writing that's a bit longer than a small journal card and less than a long journaler.

This new set of 4 x 6 journalers will be available at Designer Digitals on Thursday (the first day of the quarterly sale). The set includes PNG files and a PDF file for easy printing. Days of the week plus a few other sentiment journal blocks are included.

This week I also wanted to share some work from Nicole. She made her own version of Project Life using many of my digital products from Designer Digitals.

I love how she used the 365 overlays as journal blocks. She opens the PNG files in Word, inserts a text box and adds her journaling, and prints.

I also received some cool examples via email from Angie who is printing out my Title + Journal Photo Overlays Vol.2 for her Project Life album:

Thanks to Nicole and Angie for sharing their work!

Project Life is a product created by Becky Higgins. It can be anything you want it to be. The album kit is available for purchase through Amazon. If you live outside the US check Becky’s site for more information on sources. View all my posts about Project Life here.

1. Val Irwin

2011-02-09 01:28:45 +1000

The 4x6 journaling cards and the smaller journal cards are a great idea, I will definitely have to get some new overlays. I love the idea of Project Life and decided that I would do it for 2010, I took it on vacation with me the past couple weeks and ended up completing 4 months in only a few hours (a lot different from how I normally scrapbook). I'm enjoying it so much that I just ordered the Amber version so that I can do it for 2011 and actually get to fill it in as the days go by instead of after the fact.

2. Ellen McKinley

2011-02-09 02:21:36 +1000

Do you use the Project Life format just for the daily recording, or do you do other scrapbooking that way also? If so, can we see some?

3. Kristie H

2011-02-09 02:23:30 +1000

A--Before I opened the post, I thought, oh, that blond girl must be their baby sitter...=)
    B--I love the new overlays/journaling cards. I was just thinking the other day that I want my Project Life to be all about capturing a story a day instead of a picture a day. Those overlays will be perfect for that!
    can not wait til Thursday!!! =)

4. beth lo.

2011-02-09 02:34:14 +1000

Ali: thank you so much for posting each week of project life. b/c of your posting about it as DD was wrapping up, i decided to give this a try this year for the first time and i'm so glad i am. i am already loving it so much. i always save those "little bits of everyday life" thinking i'll scrapbook it, and then never do. PL is totally working for me and i'm so grateful to you for sharing it with us-you're keeping me motivated and excited.

looking forward to getting the new 4x6 journaling cards on thursday.
    have a lovely week!

5. Mrs. b

2011-02-09 03:17:01 +1000

Thank you so much for posting each week - it gives plenty of inspiration!
    But at right this moment I am too excited to read it all - I just fetched my Project Life deliver from the post office! I am so excited that I am about to burst - I have waited so long for it to arrive (ordered already before Christmas, the delivery spent most of that time getting here over the ocean :-)

Ahh, two hours left before the kids go to bed - I can't wait until I can unpack the box properly!
    (Until that - I'll need to go snuggle and spend time with them :-)

6. Sabrina

2011-02-09 03:39:11 +1000

Thanks for sharing your album. I love seeing what you do each week. I still need to get started on mine but morning sickness is kicking my butt. Maybe if I put my cards next to the couch I'd work on it while I'm lounging.

7. Birgit

2011-02-09 04:14:36 +1000

Ali: I love your overlays, too. I purchased both you "long journalers" but have to admit I have a hard time figuring out how to work with them in word. It sounds so easy: "opens the PNG files in Word, inserts a text box and adds her journaling, and prints" I have signed up for both of your classes OLW and YAT at big picture and was wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere that explains it in more detail, so someone who doesn't have photo editing software can use word or adobe reader to use the journalers. Thank you very much - love what you do with all the everyday tid bids and memories. I wish there would be more time in the day to play with it all. Birgit

8. Cindy

2011-02-09 05:19:37 +1000

The 4x6 journalers are super clever. I have the Project Life set, and I definitely see a use for them. Not at all current with it yet, but photos coming this week, so I am hopeful. Yours is looking awesome - thanks for helping me keep it top of mind. And also, thanks for the tip to date the cards up front from a couple of posts ago. It had never occurred to me, but it is a great way to keep organized for doing those tuck-ins as things come into your house rather than waiting for when you have pictures. Super helpful. Thanks!

9. Kylie

2011-02-09 07:03:56 +1000

Your Project Life is awesome. I also bought the Project Life album this year and am using it in a a similar way to you, lots of bits and pieces, collecting photos and memories and stories in one place ... back to the concept of a more 'traditional' scrapbook. I wondered though, how do the receipts that you keep in your album hold up over time? Do you find they fade? I'm not really inclined to keep mine if they're going to fade significantly. Would be interested to hear your experience with those.
    Thanks Ali and thanks for your generous sharingn of stories and inspiration!

10. Juanita

2011-02-09 07:38:22 +1000

Looking forward to getting the 4x6 journaling cards Thursday. I am making my own version of Project Life, and I think they will be just perfect.

11. Amy Albert

2011-02-09 07:44:19 +1000

Love, love the 4x6 journal cards you have created! Will they only be something that you can get digital, or will there be a place to actually buy hard copies....my printer is old and can't handle anything at the moment! Thanks

12. Josie

2011-02-09 08:01:10 +1000

I'm a first time commenter! I'm so pleased you're posting your pages every week and I'm always really excited to see what you've come up with! I just LOVE your scrapbooking style...it's nice and simple, with a focus on the photos and journalling, not the decoration. The polaroids and bits and pieces look great :)

I'd LOVE to do Project Life, too! But I'm in New Zealand and they're all sold out :( They said the Turquoise edition sold out really fast. I keep checking the website everyday to see if they're getting more. Wish me luck!

13. Raylene

2011-02-09 08:11:13 +1000

I got my first Project Life kit the end of Jan and have now caught up. Being a digital scrapper, I find I'm not using the cards much, maybe about 4 so far. I am printing my photos at home and find that I'd like to design and print out my own cards and journalers, using the awesome digi products I have in my stash. But I am LOVING this process . . .all because of Ali's December Daily!!

14. Lindsey W.

2011-02-09 12:24:34 +1000

Hey, Ali! I recently bought the B8550 printer. My colors seem off when I print my pictures. Do you notice this problem? Do you know if there is a way to calibrate the printer so what I see on the screen matches what I print? Thanks!!

15. Alida

2011-02-09 17:25:15 +1000

Awesome B&W of Simon! Those eyes.

16. audra

2011-02-10 00:21:49 +1000

Ali - I was wondering if you'd ever condsider creating STAMPS for your 4x6 365 days overlays? I know you have these available through Designer Digitals, however with PL I'm doing SO much more printing @ home on my selphy, I would love to use a stamp of these right over my picture with some white Staz on ink.
    Any chance of doing this?

17. MaryM

2011-02-10 02:56:40 +1000

Ali, do you expect to fit your whole PL year into one album?

18. dpoet

2011-02-10 04:14:34 +1000

I can't believe you gave up coffee.

19. Amber

2011-02-10 11:01:52 +1000

Your album is so very gorgeous, Ali! I'm just starting on mine and I've already downloaded a bunch of your elements from DD to print out and use in my album!It's getting me scrapping again and I LOVE that! Thanks for all your creative inspiration:)

20. jamie

2011-02-10 23:45:49 +1000

great post, ali!
    thanks so much.

* edited 08/11/14 09:19PM
  21. Adding Text To Overlays + Long Journalers In Elements And Word | Video Tutorials | Ali Edwards

2011-02-11 01:59:58 +1000

[...] inch x 4 inch Journalers. This package also includes a PDF file for easy printing. I used these in Week Five of Project [...]

22. Sarah

2011-02-11 02:00:42 +1000

Thank you so much for sharing your Project Life every week. I love to see how other people are using the album in new ways...so inspirational!

Also, would you mind sharing what kind of camera you used for the small pictures? Are those from an instant camera or did you resize them in Photoshop?

23. Debbie

2011-02-11 03:12:31 +1000

did you change the daily journal overlay from the photo that was here yesterday? Or am I crazy...I thought it looked different yesterday.
    Good sale at DD!!!!

24. Leilanie

2011-02-13 04:17:07 +1000

Thank you for the inspiration! Just purchased my own Project life set and I'm excited!

25. Barb

2011-02-16 03:31:38 +1000

Is that a long-arm photo of you taken with the Instimax? Just got one for my anniversary they fit in your book perfectly.