Loving | Reading & Watching

BOOK | Blood Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton. Lots of books on my nightstand right now seem to be memoirs. I read about this one in a couple different places and picked it up in Charlotte. I have thoroughly enjoyed this one - it's raw and interesting and her writing about food and the happenings in her life and in the kitchen I found really fascinating.

Next up is either A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough by Wayne Muller (he wrote another book I loved last year - Sabbath) or Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer.

MAGAZINE | Anthology. I got my first issue while I was away and devoured it on Sunday afternoon. Loved the articles. Loved the images. Love the size.

TV | Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. Something about this season has really pulled me in. I'd never watched his show before this season but have been DVRing it and love it. He's raw and the places he's been going this season are really interesting - I especially liked the first episode when he was in Hati.

ONLINE | Here's a few recent favorites:

A big thank you to my Home Page featured sponsor for April: Xyron.

I'd also like to thank all my fabulous current sponsors. These companies help keep my site humming along:

Studio Calico | monthly scrapbook kits and inspiration
Elles Studio | scrapbook supplies and inspiration
Cocoa Daisy | monthly scrapbook kits and inspiration
JBS Mercantile | monthly scrapbook kits and inspiration
Xyron | manufacturer of adhesive, laminate and image transfer products
Color Inc | photo processing & specialty printing (25 free 5x7's by using the promo code: ALI APRIL)
Shimelle.com | online memory keeping classes and inspiration
Two Peas In A Bucket | scrapbook supplies and inspiration - just launched new areas for stamping and cardmaking
The Daily Digi | digital scrapbooking inspiration & monthly membership program
Them O Web | adhesive manufacturer
Scrapbooking From The Inside Out | monthly scrapbook kits and inspiration
Debbie Hodge | online memory keeping classes
Ormolu | earth-friendly paper love
Willette | photography tools, ebooks, and inspiration
Lisa Leonard Designs | personalized, handmade jewelry
ScrappinStuff.com | scrapbook supplies - specializing in sports-related supplies
The Green Frog Studio by Celine Navarro | mixed-media and memory keeping online classes and inspiration
Scrapscription | monthly scrapbook kits with detailed project instructions and inspiration
Evalicious | memory art kits and embellishments
Everyday Keepsakes | personalized, handmade keepsake jewelery
Quilted Treasures | quilting supplies and inspiration
Scrapbook Circle | monthly scrapbook kits and inspiration
Remains Of The Day by Mary Ann Moss | a shabby journal of scraps online class (currently on sale through 4/30/11)

1. tina.b - Half of What I Say

2011-04-04 07:17:07 -0700

Ali, I too read Blood, Bones and Butter, thoroughly enjoyed it. I will check out your other book recs. And have loved Tony since the start, have yet to see the Haiti episode, don't think it has aired in Canada yet.

2. Kristen

2011-04-04 07:32:43 -0700

Thanks for those links, Ali--esp little Buddha!

3. Roberta

2011-04-04 08:13:49 -0700

We are also fans of Anthony Bourdain's and love his real take on trying different things. We also DVR it and catch up on it on the weekends...the only thing is that it makes me want to eat...so I only watch it when I'm not hungry...same with all food shows ;)

4. Michele in Texas

2011-04-04 08:55:01 -0700

Ali, thank you for introducing me to Tiny Buddha. It certainly had some wisdom that I needed right now.

5. Kimberly L.C.

2011-04-04 09:09:56 -0700

I've really been enjoying No Reservations this season also. I think that he's added more of himself and his actual emotions to the food experience, which has made it much richer for me. The Haiti episode was just phenomenal.

6. Cindy Andrews

2011-04-04 09:20:09 -0700

Ali - your stack of "to read books" looks nearly as tall as mine and I keeping adding! Thanks so much for sponsors - I've purchased a couple things from Lisa Leonard - love her designs! I've tried to buy from Studio Calico, but I'm just not fast enough...

7. Carrie

2011-04-04 09:28:02 -0700

A while back you'd either tweeted or posted about a new healthy eating site you discovered. I visited the site a few times, but didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find it. The site posts weekly heathy eating tips on a little note card that you can print as reminders...any ideas on which site this was? I'd love to find it again.

Thanks so much. Great post as usual. I hope you had a great weekend!

8. Teresa

2011-04-04 09:35:20 -0700

I miss Anthony Bourdain. No satellite right now. My husband thinks I had a crush on him. Thanks for sharing with us!

9. kelly X

2011-04-04 10:07:39 -0700

Hi Ali! My nightstand looks the same way :-) I've been a fan of Anthony Bourdain for awhile. Have you read any of his books?

10. Denise K.

2011-04-04 10:33:58 -0700

Thanks for sharing your reading material, Ali! I'd love to hear what you and Simon are reading...since I love your pics for adults and need some ideas for insightful books for a 3rd grader. Thanks!

11. Liz Ness

2011-04-04 10:55:30 -0700

Thank you so much for including a link to GP+ in this awesome list! I'm sending HUGE, GIGANTIC HUGS your way, my friend!!!

=) Liz

12. Judy Webb

2011-04-04 13:02:17 -0700

I have a face book friend. Famous Women. She sends quotes that educates every day. Some are signed and some are not. This one is not, "Forget your weakness! Think courage." I am loving her Facebook and your blog. Yea!!

13. Christine

2011-04-04 13:04:20 -0700

Great reading selection. I was wondering if you ever considered owning a Kindle or other e-reader?

14. Paulette Sarsfield

2011-04-04 15:29:10 -0700

Ali, I would like to know what you do with your books after you read them? I read a lot too & had to purge awhile ago but it's even harder than Scrapbooking supplies... just curious! Thanks for sharing, Happy day:o)

15. Rachel

2011-04-04 16:27:09 -0700

Thanks for the great reading recommendations! Be Different, Adventures of a Free Range Aspergian, is a new release by John Elder Robison that I am currently enjoying. (Oh, and I've enjoyed your recent website links, too!)

16. Deb Wisker

2011-04-04 19:00:28 -0700

That's quite a stack of books! Don't forget to update your Goodreads! ;)

17. Patricia

2011-04-04 20:06:20 -0700

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a pile of books on my nightstand almost as tall as my lamp! Happy Reading!

18. Brooke

2011-04-04 20:23:09 -0700

I'm always envious of your book pile. But I have to ask, as a busy Mom of two how and when do you fit it all in?

19. Bev

2011-04-05 06:01:46 -0700

Just a quick note to thank you for your wonderful blog. Everything you post is so thoughtful and inspiring and this blog is no exception! Thanks again!

20. Lindsey

2011-04-05 09:44:26 -0700

My husband and I are reading Moonwalking with Einstein right now, and we are both absolutely loving it. It's fascinating!! (Really. I probably don't say that about a lot of books. Especially since I'm not much of a nonfiction person). I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I can't recommend it enough.

21. Prathima

2011-04-05 11:01:53 -0700

Hi Ali,
    Not sure if you know about it, but there's a wonderful show on NBC called Parenthood. Its about one family of three generations and their individual struggles and successes in life as well as how they all come together. In addition, one of the main characters son has Asperger's and they address the challenges and wonderful moments with his learning and growing process. It's a fantastic show full of heart and I would love more people to watch it so it stay on the air! :)

22. Marian

2011-04-05 23:04:32 -0700

Ali - I just finished Blood, Bones, and Butter last night. I really enjoyed it also. She s a terrific writer. Also, my favorite TV show right now is Parenthood. Such an intense so but also very funny. It just really seems to flow like real life.

23. suzanne

2011-04-06 10:30:21 -0700

hi ali!
    just stopped by to see what your up to : )
    i love your book suggestions- i saw the Blood Bones & Butter just featured in the Oregonian and put it on my list. Glad to know it is good. Also just started Mama Zen- keep the suggestions coming.

24. Angie Lucas

2011-04-14 21:47:44 -0700

I see "Peace Like a River" on your nightstand, and I have to say it is one of my FAVORITES. It's amazing. The voice is so unique, and you know you're in for something different from the very first paragraph.

25. American Airways Mail

2012-06-02 00:41:21 -0700

I precisely needed to say thanks all over again. I'm not certain the things that I might have implemented in the absence of the entire concepts provided by you over this situation. Previously it was a difficult difficulty for me, however , looking at your specialized style you treated it forced me to weep with fulfillment. Now i am grateful for your support and thus sincerely hope you know what a powerful job that you're carrying out instructing many people with the aid of your website. I know that you've never come across any of us.