Week In The Life 2011 | Monday Words + Photos + Observations

NUMBER OF PHOTOS FOR MONDAY | 131

So I wasn't really sleeping when I took this photo. I did just wake-up and I had strategically placed my camera on my bedside table to take some sort of shot first thing. I'm wondering if this is what the kids see when they tip toe (or stomp) into our room in the mornings.

Here's a look at some of my other favorites from Monday:

week in the life 2011 | monday

NOTE: I just updated to Lion yesterday (new Mac operating system) and it's not making friends with my scanner. I'd planned to scan in my Daily Sheets for today but ended up just taking a photo instead. Once I get the scanner running I'll scan them in and share them here.

PROJECT OBSERVATIONS

• Doing with this project with two kids in the summer is a whole different ballgame. I need to get a bit more strategic or I just need to let more things go. I'm also still a bit out of sorts from being gone recently - today was the first day that felt semi-normal in awhile.

• I find that I'm taking less photos than I have in the past. I'm not sure if that's a result of doing this project so many times already and knowing that I can't use them all (I still recommend taking more than you need just so you have choices when it comes to putting the album together). EDITED: I wrote this earlier in the day. When I actually uploaded the photos there were still over 100. It's really less about the number and more about simply capturing pieces of your day.

• VIDEO | Something new for me this year is adding in a bit of video. I took a few random videos on both my camera and my iphone yesterday and I think what I'm going to do is put it all together into one video at the end of the week. Any one else shooting any video along with your still images? I started an iMovie project and I'm adding little snippets as we go throughout the week.

• This project is a really great chance to get more photos of yourself (remember what I said yesterday about your story being important). Use your self-timer, get a remote, set your camera on the ground, pass it to a co-worker/friend/kid/spouse/parent etc and ask them to take a few of you too. Experiment - that's how you learn what you like, don't like, etc. I know I've found that the more I shoot the more comfortable I am with my camera and the more apt I am to try something a little different the next time (or rely on an old favorite).

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

Don't worry if your first day didn't go according to plan. If you only took a couple of photos - no big deal - start fresh tomorrow. This project is not supposed to be "just another thing on your list" so if it's feeling that way maybe doing it another week is the right choice for you or maybe it's an opportunity to adjust your attitude. This project does take a certain level of commitment and awareness as you go through your day.

Also, if you are feeling like your life is boring consider adjusting your perspective. Think about what you wish you knew about your Mom or other loved one - even if they could tell you about their life at a specific point in time it wouldn't be as detailed or as fresh as you have the opportunity to document your own life right now.

SHARE YOUR DAY ONE

Would love to have you include a link to your DAY ONE of words and photso here. Please link directly to your post vs. your general blog link. Thank you!

TODAY'S POST SPONSORED BY | WORLDWIN PAPERS
Look for the Die Cutting Trio from WorldWin Papers. It includes three NEW! products: 1.  Paper Layerz by Megan Elizabeth printed on CutMates diecutable cardstock. Paper Layerz makes die cutting layered images easy and beautiful with nine color-coordinated squares on one sheet. 2.  CutMates diecutable cardstock in Light and Dark colored assortment packs. 3.  2nd Edition Cricut A to Z DVD by Megan Elizabeth -- the ultimate "how-to" for using any Cricut die cutter. (The first edition sold 100,000 copies in just 1.5 years.) Visit our Web site to learn more...www.worldwinpapers.com.

FACEBOOK

1. abbeyviolet

2011-07-26 11:04:00 -0700

I took about 100 pictures yesterday, deleted half, put 20 into a slideshow on my blog and that felt just about right. Not sure how I'll use them yet, but am thinking of video too as at one point yesterday I really wished I was recording my 2 year old's story of her day for her dad!

2. Teri H.

2011-07-26 11:11:48 -0700

Great photos Ali. Is that Simon riding on the two-wheeler totally now? Woohoo!

3. Michele M.

2011-07-26 11:55:11 -0700

This is my first time participating in this project because I am a teacher and usually just don't have the time at other times of the year. I felt slightly bogged down at first because I felt like I couldn't leave the camera--that it had to be by my side every minute. Once I got over that, and let go a bit, I found it was actually fun. Today I haven't taken as many pictures, but I'm okay with that.

I do have two questions though--what did you place your camera on to get the shot of you at the dishwasher? (I am experimenting with my self-timer for the first time). And, are you shooting in manual mode or auto? Your pictures always look so vibrant--they're great!

4. Week in the Life 2011 – Monday! :: Jen and Tricks

2011-07-26 12:17:30 -0700

[...] fine. Speaking of, don’t forget to check out this post with helpful advise for this week! Also, read about Ali’s first day an her observations about the project, here. [...]

5. Lori

2011-07-26 12:38:06 -0700

ALI - I'm on day #3 of week in life and loving it! Thank you for sharing your pictures from yesterday. Random question Ali - where did you find your purple Nike zip up in pic 15? I have been on a hunt for this thing - i find mostly they zip just at the top, but I like how yours zips all the way up. Plus I love the color :)

6. Janet

2011-07-26 13:15:34 -0700

Ali, your photos are always so genuine and inspiring. Love how crisp and clean they all are and my favorite has got to be a tie between you "sleeping" and Anna hugging the babysitter. So, so sweet. And...you've inspired me to grab a shot of the ceiling fan in my son's room for today. Love your perspective!

7. A Week in the Life: Inspired | Meredith's Daily Angst

2011-07-26 13:42:03 -0700

[...] favor when the occasion warrants.  But my cousin Sarah had posted about her efforts to take on Ali Edwards’ Week in the Life project, and I was instantly inspired.  This project seemed not so much like a scrapbooking effort, per [...]

8. Ashley M

2011-07-26 13:56:59 -0700

I absolutely love the hopscotch rug in Anna's room! Could you please share where you found that (if you remember)? I am getting ready to have my very first elementary classroom this fall and would love to incorporate that kind of rug somewhere!
    Thanks and thank you for always posting such amazing ideas and moments from your life!

9. Michele H.

2011-07-26 14:23:38 -0700

your photos are absolutely amazing! love the one of Anna hugging her caregiver:) such a sweet photo!

10. Week in the Life 2011 « grumpysleepyandbashful

2011-07-26 15:10:17 -0700

[...] am joining Ali Edwards and so many others in creating a Week in the Life 2011 journal.  It started yesterday.  I’ve never been very good at taking pictures and even [...]

11. Elizabeth B

2011-07-26 16:54:09 -0700

Can you share with us the colour of paint in your bedroom? LOVE IT!

12. Meg

2011-07-26 17:08:57 -0700

I was just thinking how dull my day has been - so your advice to adjust my perspective was perfect! I would love to know what my family was doing when I was 7 ( I sure can't remember!) - so off I go with a new perspective for a new day! Thanks

13. MamPug

2011-07-26 20:02:35 -0700

This is my first time to participate in this project. I took 11 pictures today. To me, my life seems dull but it will be neat to look back in later years and see what our family was doing. Thanks for inspiration.

14. Katie

2011-07-27 01:24:53 -0700

Awesome photos! And can I just ask is that a hopskotch rug in Anna's bedroom? I LOVE it!

15. Tanya Watson

2011-07-27 03:10:14 -0700

whats Simon done to his foot? hope its nothing to bad I see its bandaged up in the photo of him on the sofa....Love your photos and looking forward to starting my album next week, absoutly love your flower photos to its stunning....

16. Sarah B R

2011-07-27 09:49:34 -0700

Shooting videos as well with iphone. Planning on including a disc at the end of my photobook (gping the digital route)
    thanks for the log sheets. Very helpful.

17. Week In The Life | Ali Edwards

2011-07-27 13:02:56 -0700

[...] Monday Words + Photos [...]

18. Maria

2011-07-28 02:47:04 -0700

Here's my Monday http://scrapflicka.blogspot.com/2011/07/week-in-life-monday.html

19. Angieh

2011-07-28 19:45:47 -0700

I can't believe no one has asked yet! I am so curious about your bedding, where is it from and is it a duvet cover? LOVE IT

20. Dee Cummins

2011-07-29 07:45:14 -0700

I love seeing the start of your week and Anna's sweet smile at breakfast!

21. Noreen

2011-07-29 07:58:28 -0700

It helps to be reminded to change our perspective - it really makes a difference as to how we see things.

22. Karen in VA

2011-07-29 13:06:05 -0700

You should definitely include video. It's scrapbooking in the modern world! I love to make slide shows of photos set to music. You can make the photos move across the screen and zoom in and out. It's really addictive trying to fit the photos to the right spot in the music. Have fun!

23. Blog Larson

2011-08-03 10:03:12 -0700

You have a great camera and you perfectly captured each moment! In contrast to the usual pose-and-click documentation, events/activities captured unknowingly narrates life stories creatively and interestingly! Please check my too for other scrapbooking ideas!Thanks!

24. New start » elisalou designs

2011-08-23 08:14:59 -0700

[...] things in a bag all along, and of course taking pictures. But I have realized that (after reading Ali’s blog for the first time in months) that I want to capture more day to day- more [...]

25. kado pasutri

2014-04-15 02:43:07 -0700

thanks for this awesome web page, i like it http://kadopasutri.com