December Daily : Day Seven

December71

A little letter to Simon.

Tonight Simon will be writing his letter to Santa so I thought it would be appropriate to write a letter to Simon. I think this will be a nice tradition to add in to my December Daily books in the future.

I started off with a bit of thinking. What did I want to tell him about this past year? I wondered what things he will remember (he has a crazy good memory) and what things will just remain in the past? What did I want to say about how much he has grown and matured in so many different ways?

I ended up writing about how proud we are of him and all the ways he has grown this past year. Little things and big things. Things like independently getting on the bus, dressing himself, doing his homework without too much drama, and being excited about being a big brother, etc. He is such an amazing kid.

If you don't have kids (or kids at home) consider writing a letter to your spouse, partner, or maybe even to yourself. You letter could focus on this past year, how you feel about the season, or something about your life at this moment in time. Adding in some content such as a letter gives added depth and meaning to your album as a whole.

Here's a look at how it came together:

December72

December73

[ American Crafts Precision Pen .03, Making Memories Fa La La Trims, Scenic Route Grey Grid Patterned Paper, Fiskars Threading Water Border Punch ]

I cut a sheet of grey grid patterned paper to fit inside the envelope and used the Threading Water Punch to create a decorative edge along the top. I stitched the top in place and covered the back side with a second sheet of grey grid paper. The seam is covered with ribbon.

December74

The envelope is from Paper Source and they offer great templates for creating envelope liners. I cut my liner using one of those templates and patterned paper from American Crafts (The Weather Outside).

December75

And just a simple paper clip to keep the envelope closed for now. I am still decided what to do on the page opposite (the back of day 6). I am thinking of creating a tag similar to the one that Tim showcased today and adding that as a decoration.

The before image:

Img_3172

[ Paper Source Red Envelope; American Crafts White Subway Foam Thickers ]

Dottedline

Celebrate the season. Read more about the concept of a December Daily Album and links to all related posts here. See many more examples from participants in the Flickr December Daily Group.

1. sue

2008-12-08 08:39:00 -0600

What a lovely idea! Someday Simon will look back at your letter and be proud of the strides he has made and know that it is because you and your husband care so much about him and every step he takes.
    Sue

2. Linda Beeson

2008-12-08 09:21:05 -0600

Adding an envelope to a mini album is such a cute accent and could work on so many levels!

3. gudrun

2008-12-08 09:38:27 -0600

Oh, I love this idea of writing a letter to the kids or maybe just a letter to whoever read my decemberalbum in the future. Thanks for sharing, Ali! I'm allways blown away by your creativity, and all the beautiful things you make. Thanks again!
    ~gudrun~

4. kelly

2008-12-08 09:38:41 -0600

I love the idea of adding in a little note to your son, very sweet!

5. mandeem

2008-12-08 09:50:41 -0600

You never cease to amaze me. I love this idea. I think that I will write a few letters and include them in my book, one for my son, one for my hubby, and one for myself. I think it will be wonderful to look back over the years and see what I wrote to all of us. I am going to try to get my hubby to write a letter too. Great idea!

6. Carrie Romero

2008-12-08 10:08:43 -0600

Lovely idea! Your journal & look at Christmas is very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

7. kellyvincanada

2008-12-08 11:30:43 -0600

Hi Ali,
    I really love the idea of including a letter; I also love your idea of including one of 'Tim's tags' as a decoration. I have included the fourth and fifth tags in my album because I just didn't want to have to part with them. I can't give them away if they are glued down!
    As always, thank you for sharing.
    Peace,
    Kelly

8. tara pollard pakosta

2008-12-08 11:38:07 -0600

LOVE IT!
    i write a letter to my daughters every year on their birthday, my oldest is turning 9 on Christmas Eve, so this is the time I start thinking about what I want to say to sum her year up. my husband also writes them a letter on their birthday, though he seems to skip every other year. i hope he keeps it up through adult years as well.
    will you include simon's letter to santa too somewhere? i am having a hard time keeping up with this and Christmas is coming way too FAST for me! LOVE yours though!tara

9. HeatherC

2008-12-08 11:46:18 -0600

What a great idea -- something to cherish.

10. Heathyr

2008-12-08 11:48:16 -0600

Ali, I love the idea of writing a letter. I only have a fiance to write to but I think it is really important to to slip aside a little letter to him this holiday season - talk about the new traditions we have already established in the 2 years we have been together, how we will be married next Christmas, etc. This may be my favorite thing to do during the December daily!
    Also, thanks for the envelope tutorial! I have always wanted to do that and now I can!!

11. Natalia B

2008-12-08 12:03:46 -0600

ooh oh.. how lovely..:) such a lovely idea.. it'll be such a treasure.. one day in the future, opening that letter again.. oh wow!

12. sandy fisher

2008-12-08 12:32:09 -0600

I agree the letter idea is very lovely. I sure hope the posts on this album will be up for a long time because I am soooo behind. Ali love your style.

13. Traci Smith

2008-12-08 12:53:03 -0600

I *heart* this idea! Thanks for the inspiration Ali!

14. Bec

2008-12-08 13:22:49 -0600

Wow! I can't believe Simon is almost 7 years old. How did that happen :)? I am always tickled to read about how well he is doing.

15. Michelle McGuire

2008-12-08 15:54:16 -0600

Love this! Can't wait to add one to my book!

16. hedwig

2008-12-08 18:08:57 -0600

the letter and the enveloppe are just gorgeous, Thanks for let me peak into your life and for sharing this crafty pre christmas time!
    Hedwig

17. Julie Howard

2008-12-08 19:25:35 -0600

Ali, I love the letter and envelope idea! I have not been able to keep up with this project this year, but plan on doing it for next year.

18. Nancy

2008-12-08 20:22:05 -0600

Love that idea!! And because I no longer have children at home, I have decided to write about how much the Christmas season was made special for me through my children. I think they will be quite surprised by what I write. Thank-you so much Ali, and thanks for all the info of the products you are using. I have sent for a few already!!
    Nancy

19. kosenrufu mama

2008-12-08 21:22:02 -0600

i love this idea!!!! thank you!!!!

20. Krystal

2008-12-08 21:42:55 -0600

This is a great idea. I am really enjoying your blog posts about your daily december album.
    How will you share this letter with Simon (beyond keeping it in the album)? Just curious if you have special plans for that.
    Thanks for all the inspiration.
    Krystal

21. Irene Dunne

2008-12-08 22:20:29 -0600

A letter would definitely give that album a personal touch. I will have to think about this though cause I am not very good at writing down my feelings.

22. .kat.

2008-12-08 22:58:17 -0600

I LOVE the whole concept of this book.
    My little girl is 18 months old and my
    husband and I were trying to think of
    some new traditions to bring into our
    family for the Holidays. THIS is one I
    MUST get started! Love it!

23. Deb Jones

2008-12-09 00:38:38 -0600

This is such a great idea. I don't have kids but my 80 year old mother lives with me and is such a sweetie that I will put a letter to her into my album.

24. scrappinseminole

2008-12-09 03:47:16 -0600

I just want to tell you how much I love looking at your mini-books. I have always been more of a 12x12 lo kind of girl, but I like how your little books go together (esp. the Christmas one!). It must be like finding little treasures for your loved ones who go through the books later. They never know what they'll find.
    So I'm thinking of getting my feet wet on this when we're off on break for 2 weeks. I'll do a Christmas Vacation book to document each day of our time off.
    Thank you for all of the time and detail you put into your tutorials! It must take up a ton of your time ;)

25. kimberlee