December Daily™ 2010 | Intro Page & Binding

Yesterday I took some time to finish up the last couple of things left to do with my December Daily™.

First up was figuring out what I wanted to do for the binding. On hand I had rings that were 2 inches, 2.5 inches and 3 inches (ordered from Amazon).

Here's a look at the 2 inch rings. They worked fine but I wasn't totally satisfied. I tried the next size up (the 2.5 inch rings) and they just looked way too big (the one in the middle is missing because I was hunting for it and couldn't locate it).

Here's a look from the side - you can see here that it's pulling a bit on the top and the bottom.

Other than the ring binding, I also wanted to try running some baker's twine and a piece of ribbon through the holes to see if I liked that better.

I did.

It takes a bit longer to get the ribbon + twine through all the pages but in the end I liked that option better.

Here's a look at what I did with the intro page:

In Photoshop I created a new canvas that was 2 inches wide x 4.25 inches tall at 300 dpi.

From my photo management program (Aperture) I dragged and dropped the images I wanted to use into Photoshop.

I re-sized them to either 2 inches wide or 3 inches wide and layered them one on top of the other to create the strip.

I printed them here at home and adhered it into my album. The intro page was a free download available here.

Again, thanks so much to all of you that participated this year! For those of you who are continuing to work on your project, you can do it!

Look for information about December Daily™ 2011 to begin sometime in October.

You can view all pages about the December Daily™ project here.

1. caro

2011-01-10 09:10:26 -0800

Hi Ali, I also ended up changing my binding from 3 rings to an A5 "lever-arch" file, which I'll paint.
    Using this 6x8 format has taught me:
    -I love the economy & availability of using a standard stationery file to house the pages.
    -Full frame photographs can be printed at 4x6 or 5x7.5, eliminating the crop factor. Awesome effect of enlargements!
    You mentioned that you would let us know how to adapt the "day of the week" on your templates for using in another year; this whole project was a winner, Thank you again!

2. candy

2011-01-10 09:50:29 -0800

Use a small crochet hook that will fit thought the holes easily. Make a loop (I don't tie it just make a loop with a long tail), catch it with the crochet hook and pull it through.......so much easier than trying to thread through all those holes. Maybe this is not new to you and maybe you have tried and didn't like doing it that way. Just thought I would pass it on.

3. Pam

2011-01-10 10:26:41 -0800

I don't like how the rings look either. I'll have to try the twine. I finished mine up this weekend. I did a summary page at the end with some reflections on doing the DD this year. Thanks for sharing this with us each year.

4. Heather Johnson Photography

2011-01-10 11:10:17 -0800

My book just came in the mail from Shutterfly this weekend, and it warmed my heart to look at it all together. Thank you so much for the inspiration, and for bringing us all along for the ride. I absolutely love this album and look forward to making one each and every year!!

5. gscrapbooks

2011-01-10 11:45:25 -0800

Gorgeous! Love the binding, I might have to change mine to something similar because I'm not loving the rings. I finished mine yesterday:

6. Heather H

2011-01-10 12:37:08 -0800

I'm not near finishing yet but I'm happy to report that I placed my 2nd-to-last photo order yesterday (I still have some still-life shots I haven't taken yet!). My goal is to be done by the end of January. So far I am liking the size of the binder rings on my album, I just don't like how plain and utilitarian they are. I think I might try spray-painting them with a paint made for metal.

Love your album, as always! Thanks for sharing with us! :)

7. Brooke

2011-01-10 13:19:24 -0800

Hello Ali,
    Love the binding. Great.

LG Brooke

8. Jenny

2011-01-10 16:21:29 -0800

This was my first year doing the album and I had problems with the binding size of my album, so I had my husband help me rip off the 3 ring part of it to just use ribbon. It was still really big. All I had to do was the journalling, but we had a house fire on thursday I it was a victim of the flames. I am disappointed, but everything lost was just stuff and everyone is safe. I am really looking forward to next year and getting the binding done right.

9. Kathy

2011-01-10 17:58:17 -0800

My album was also too thick for rings. I resorted to red shoelaces. I figured shoe laces last for years in shoes so it should stand up well to flipping pages. My goal this year is to find red and white candy striped shoe laces for next year!

10. Kris

2011-01-10 19:12:03 -0800

I love the bakers twine and ribbon as well. Mine is digital, I just need to print the pages and bind it. I'm so glad I finally decided to do a DD album, it was so much fun! Thanks for all of your inspiration, you rock!

11. Dale Anne Potter

2011-01-10 22:00:38 -0800

Love how your album has turned out, but like you, I didn't like the bulging and how the 3 inch ring stuck out....then I had an internet friend tell me about her album which is thick but uses sets of rings instead: http://www.mousepotatodesigns.com/?p=3015

12. Sharon

2011-01-10 22:15:18 -0800

Hi Ali, Great project once again. This is my second year doing your DD album and this year my album is so thick, about 5 inches. I will be trying to play around with ribbon to bind it. I think I prefer doing the album with pages that are all the same size. It looks neater to me, but then again, I am a clean linear kind of scrapbooker. Well I do have one question. What did you put on the inside of your front cover and the inside of your back cover? I think I will be pasting my day 25 page with the frames to the inside back cover, but didn't really grasp what you did with your front cover. Could you mention it in an upcoming post please? I know you are so finished your DD and are ready to move on, but I am a bit confused.
    Thanks

13. SusanC

2011-01-11 05:48:40 -0800

Another year that I did not do this project! I always have high hopes but they never lead to fruition! I'm not a digital girl so that won't work for me... Any suggestions for 2011? Would you consider selling a kit? I love the idea and love looking at yours! Thanks!

14. LisaAnn

2011-01-11 10:56:34 -0800

I had so much fun doing this for the first time this year! Thanks for the inspiration along the way! I absolutely love our finished album. I ended up still using the rings that I started with and they worked just fine. That is a nice tip, to use the twine. I've used ribbon before and like the feel of it. Thanks again to everyone who posted their albums, you al provided so much inspiration and drive to finish my own! And thanks, Ali, for hosting and keeping this going!

15. Raylene

2011-01-11 13:34:15 -0800

Right now, I am waiting for a box of sheet protectors I ordered on Dec 21 to arrive. I am in Canada and the company is in Oregon, not that far, really. The box left Oregon on Dec 22, then they left Chicago on Jan 5th . . . did they think there's terrorist material in the box??? Are they taking the scenic route? I really loathe UPS!!! And they'll probably charge me $50 for fees & customs! The whole box was only $48!!! Did I mention I hate UPS???
    I have to wait until I get the sheet protectors so I know exactly what size to print off my pages. I did the 6x8 size, but the only sheet protectors I could find were 6x9, so I might have to adjust or add a strip! Let's hope I can finish up before next October rolls around, eh? AAAACCCCCKKKKK!

16. Debbie Craig

2011-01-11 16:05:46 -0800

You inspire me Ali!!! Just saying. Keep it coming.

17. P.J.

2011-01-12 07:14:55 -0800

This project has been a such blessing to me. After 2 years of serious family obligations and away from scraping, I read the "Scrapbook Etc." article on the "25 Days of Christmas." I could do this, start a new project and begin scraping again. The day I did started the project, I sat alone in the crop room of a SB store wondering if I COULD do it again, if I really WANTED to even try to scrap again, and, most of all, where to begin.
    I cut that first piece of paper and was hooked. When my husband picked me up, he couldn't believe the "new" wife he had. I was happy and excited again, a thing I hadn't been in 2 years.
    Throughout Dec. I watched demos, tried new things and new products. My projects have a whole new look from what they did 3 years ago when I scrapped last.
    Thank you so much for giving me the boost to return to my love of scrapbooking.

18. Dana K

2011-01-12 07:40:21 -0800

I'm so happy to see you're just finishing your album now. I'm very close to being done. I just have to finish the cover and maybe pop a few more embellishments on some pages. I'm looking forward to putting away all my Christmas supplies and moving onto something else. :-)

19. December Daily | Ali Edwards

2011-01-12 10:38:47 -0800

[...] Intro Page + Binding Decisions (at the end of the month) [...]

20. Laurel

2011-01-13 21:24:00 -0800

Thanks Ali for such a wonderful project. This is my third year doing the December Daily and definitely my favorite! I just finished my album and have had the opportunity to show it off this week. I think I've recruited some more ready to go for 2011! Your inspiration is greatly appreciated!

21. ginny

2011-01-14 18:57:46 -0800

ok Ive been putting it off but Im going to ask a studpid question, how do you back up the right hand page of one layout to the left hand page of the next day?? just adhere them together (blush..lol

22. Radish

2011-02-11 07:54:01 -0800

This is very late but I have just completed the DD. Unfortuneatly iy is printing on one side of the page. Do you print on both sides of the pages or do you paste two backs together?

Thank you in advance.

23. December Daily™ 2011 | Studio Calico Kit | Ali Edwards

2013-01-23 10:12:25 -0800

[...] of you who played along last year (or in past years) have known the struggle of finding/making an album to fit all the pages we create [...]

* edited 08/11/14 04:10AM
  24. December Daily™ 2010 | Reflections On The Process & One More Look At The Binding | Ali Edwards

2013-01-23 10:14:17 -0800

[...] I had a few requests to see what my December Daily™ album for 2010 actually looks like with the baker twine + ribbon binding. You can read the original post here. [...]

25. December Daily by Engelenchen « Engelenchen

2013-06-10 13:44:54 -0700

[...] für sein December Daily zu gestalten, der dann im Dezember Stück für Stück gefüllt wird. Hier, hier oder hier bei Ali Edwards könnt ihr viele Inspirationen sammeln, wie so ein fertiges Album [...]