Ten Things I'm Thankful For Right Now

My Dad and Anna at the new beach house. November 2012. The first of what I assume to be many photos taken in this very spot.

ONE | My parents. Most of you guys know that I really appreciate and love my parents. They are a huge part of my life and I'm thankful for them all the time. Right now I feel especially thankful for them and am excited to get to spend Thanksgiving with them this weekend and help them move into their new house at the beach. They have helped me so many times in my life - it feels good to be able to actively help them as they begin the next phase of their own life stories in a new house.

TWO | Chris. Yep, that Chris. It's been over a year since the end of our marriage and we continue to work to make this new relationship work. It's not easy but we are both choosing to make it work in a new way. It's an everyday choice and a different sort of commitment. I'm thankful for the effort he continues to show.

THREE | Music. It's still playing loud and I'm feeling it so intensely. Mumford & Sons. Dave Matthews. Ray LaMontagne. Just a little bit of Christmas music so far. Live music is on my list to make happen in 2013.

FOUR | Learning stuff all the time. Bring it on.

FIVE | Simon & Anna. Could I do a thankful post and not include them? Right now I'm feeling thankful that they are just such fun kids. I love watching them communicate with one another - they are amazingly good for each other. He teaches her and she teaches him. There hasn't been a lot of arguing between them lately so I'm thankful for a smooth patch.

SIX | Witnessing bravery. In the last week alone I've been privileged to witness two friends demonstrate big time courage in their lives. Taking chances, moving forward, stepping outside their comfort zone, making things happen. Blowing me away in awesome ways. I wish that for all of us - to see it and to live it.

SEVEN | Friends. They know who they are. Old and new. Lifting up, laughing, crying, watching all day Twilight marathons, commiserating, celebrating, calling up, planning, inviting, conversing, showing up. The greatest gift I've received this past year is the recognition of how very important friends are in enriching my daily life. I have no idea why it took me 37 years to get that straight in my head.

EIGHT | The small size I chose for December Daily this year. I decided (because I'm living the length and the width and it's something on my life list) that I'm going to take a crazy little trip in early December and do a bit of my December Daily on the road. I'll be sharing daily just like I always do.

NINE | Making it through. The last two weeks I've been super conscious of the cycles of life and of people's ability to make it through stuff. It happens everyday, all around us - people are making it through. Marveling at the human experience of loss and growth and vulnerability and authenticity and faith and love.

TEN | Poetry. Came across this one twice this past week. Must have needed to read it again:

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

1. Tracy

2012-11-21 14:49:35 -0800

Happy Thanksgiving Ali...I'm so thankful for the inspiration you give!

2. Kris

2012-11-21 16:03:20 -0800

Your honesty is so refreshing, I love your blog!

3. Leigh

2012-11-21 16:57:10 -0800

LOVE this. Thank you.

4. dawn

2012-11-21 17:40:29 -0800

LOVE READING YOUR LIST AND SOOOO HAPPY TO SEE CHRIS ON IT. HOW EXCITING FOR YOUR PARENTS, GREAT VIEW!! I'M THANKFUL FOR YOU ALI, IT'S AMAZING HOW MUCH YOU HAVE CHANGED THE WAY I SEE THE WORLD AND MAKE ME A BETTER PERSON, EVEN THOUGH WE HAVEN'T MET. THANKS FOR ALL THE INSPIRATION AND UPLIFITING SPIRIT YOU HAVE ON YOUR BLOG. BIG HUGS AND BLESSINGS FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES THIS THANKSGIVING!!

5. patty

2012-11-21 17:58:10 -0800

love this post...
    love that poem!
    tfs & happy turkey day!
    be grateful...
    gobble~gobble!
    xoxo...
    ~p

6. Christine

2012-11-21 18:07:17 -0800

Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours.
    No one else in the industry has a had a larger impact on my memory keeping then you.
    I am thankful to have you as my inspiration and you have helped to think outside the box. For this I am truely grateful.

7. Sheila Monteiro

2012-11-21 18:16:50 -0800

I was struggling with whether to take creative writing or poetry for my next course and this came as a revelation, and poetry became the answer. Thank you! A river doesn't know how many villages it feeds along the way. =) Thank you for Ireland!I hope I will be less in awe the next time.Thank you! For sharing your life so others may learn and grow and celebrate and draw strength. Happy Thanksgiving. may all your good come back to you!

hugs
    sheila

8. Brooke

2012-11-21 18:28:56 -0800

Thank you for continuing to teach me how to live.

9. Bea Silva

2012-11-21 19:05:50 -0800

Thank you! For this post, for showing courage, and for inspire yourself to inspire us. Even though my life seems to be calm right now, I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone, so these kind of words give me light and courage... Happy Thanksgiving Ali to you and all your family!

10. Emily M.

2012-11-21 21:31:49 -0800

Ray LaMontagne is pure feeling, and the perfect alchemy of both simple and complex at the same time, and it's crazy how his lyrics and music always seem to be one pure drive of emotion. I love M&S and DM as well for similar reasons, but he seems to just have absolute magic.

11. Mel

2012-11-22 05:34:51 -0800

Lovely! I especially loved your #9. The human experience is definitely something to marvel at. Happy Thanksgiving!

12. Jo-Ann

2012-11-22 08:01:04 -0800

you amaze me Ali

13. Maria

2012-11-22 08:09:22 -0800

So grateful for your continued inspiration, Ali. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family.

14. Sue

2012-11-22 08:38:02 -0800

Happy Thanksgiving, Ali, to you and your family. And thank you for continuing to inspire me, by sharing your ups and downs of your life, and your wonderful photos that sometimes speak louder than words!

15. Casey

2012-11-22 12:16:59 -0800

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

And a positive outcome for the Beavers on Saturday!!

16. Ellen

2012-11-22 14:34:44 -0800

Dear Ali,
    Is it in the 37 years?
    Thank YOU for sharing this post. It was meant to be for me to read this. So many things that i can relate to.
    Here's to all sort of relationships, all sorts of friends.
    Although not around the corner, you can find a friend over here!
    Hug,
    Ellen

17. Carrie Roberts

2012-11-22 18:44:50 -0800

What beauty ---- thank you.

18. Ann

2012-11-23 07:46:43 -0800

Thank you Ali for sharing your thoughts and inspiration, your contributions as a pioneer memory keeper, life artist, scrapbooker and cyberspace friend are without compare to me.
    I am thankful of your endless source inspiration.

Ann

19. Denise

2012-11-23 09:18:25 -0800

Thank you Ali for posting this. You are always encouraging to me and I am thankful for you and your honesty. I really do like that poem.

20. Blog Fodder | Reflections of Light

2012-11-23 16:56:09 -0800

[...] aliedwards.com via Heather on Pinterest This entry was posted in Lifestyle and tagged Wisdom by Molly. [...]

21. Cynthia H

2012-11-26 08:19:15 -0800

Ali, reading this post and thinking back to a card in your last Project Life post, I am wondering if maybe something didn't work out related to your most recent adventures in love.

I know this comes from a stranger, and I feel kind of stalkerish piecing your life together like this and reading (too much?) in between the lines, but I just wanted to send you a virtual hug and let you know this too shall pass and there are bigger and more wonderful things in store for your future. One day at a time : )

22. Laura

2012-11-26 14:23:00 -0800

Wow, love that poem!! A wonderful thankfulness list. We your fans/friends are thankful for you and your sharing of your creative gifts and words.

23. Carolyn HP

2012-11-30 11:20:34 -0800

I just saw this post Ali, it's awesome... Life is not always easy, but when you realize you can move forward and appreciate those you love (family, friends); it is such a blessing. Glad to hear you are enjoying life, a road trip in December sounds exciting, hope you have fun!

* edited 08/11/14 05:00AM
  24. Decadence. Derailed. Determined.

2013-01-08 18:43:18 -0800

[...] times recently, I’ve thought about an Ali Edwards post I read in November: “Ali Edwards: Ten Things I Am Thankful For Right Now.” At the time, I admired (as I so often do when seeing Ali’s work) the simplicity of [...]

25. click for garden furniture

2013-04-08 23:56:26 -0700

Exactly how did you have the ability to develop a real wonderful group involving commenters to your site?